• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body guy says he uses IMRON paint.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Talked to a guy who was telling me about what he can do for me. Said he uses IMRON paint. I don't know if good or bad. Can anyone tell me if this is a good thing? I assume it can be got in any color I want? He was saying it is very scratch resistant.

brian

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I've used Imron in the past; it's actually been around for almost 30 years. It's a pretty decent paint, and cures very hard, so it is scratch resistant. The downside to real hard paint is that if you get a chip, it's usually a big one down to the primer. For that reason I would not recommend it at all for a trail rig, and there are much better base coat/clear coat systems out there for a street rig.

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
A lot of the old timers love the stuff. It is a very durable paint however like GJBroncoMan pointed out "it will chip". I would recommend a good Base coat clear coat paint job as well.

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I saw a bunch of PPG cans on his shelf. What is a better paint to use?

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
PPG basecoat- clearcoat Diamont is pretty good stuff. The Imron we used to call dump truck paint. Tough as nails. Good for the frame.

67ster

Bronco Guru
Imron is good stuff but if you damage it you have to repaint the whole panel . I used Urethane by Nason , it is also a two part deal but can be touched up without repainting the whole panel .

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Imron is old school and like was said, it is good stuff. Alot of airplanes are still painted with it. It is outlawed in California, however. It is made by Dupont. Most Urethane base/clear systems around today will give you a really nice finish and will be lighter on the wallet. I just used PPG Omni Au el cheapo paint for my hardtop and it turned out nice. It is the Dupont Nason competition. If you use a PPG Basecoat, use a PPG clearcoat etc. Don't use one brand base and one brand clear. I know some guys do it, but it is asking for trouble. PPG, Diamant, Sherwin Williams, Sikkens, BASF, Dupont all have good paint.

tejayandtina

I agree, Imron is a typical "big truck" paint, very durable. I find it dosen't shine as well as BC/CC either.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I have found that a whole lot of painters " paint it with IMRON " if they are using ANY type of urethane. Urethane is urethane, way better than enamel, way better than lacquer. Some is better than others but it is all pretty much the same. YES, real IMRON is durable. If you get dirt or runs they are almost impossible to sand and buff out.

If you use regular urethane base/clear or single stage it should be good enough as long as there is some material on there. It would be nice to be able to sand and buff a few scratches out in the future. NOTHING is indestructable.

If you do regular base - clear try some PPG 3000 clear. It is pretty hard clear , not very expensive , and it is dry enough to buff in TWO hours even without a bake booth :)

73 bronc

BANNED
I had a 67 camaro painted with imron, and i never had to wax it. I had the car for 10 years! The finish is awesome, but if you do hit something it pops right off. Thats the only downside that I know of.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Imron must chip, because the Green River killer was caught this way, there was Imron at all the crime scenes, being that he painted at KW in Renton, he was a likely suspect. :eek:

V

vter

an opinion

My '68 GT500 was painted with black Imron in '78. My '75 Bronco was painted with "hot ginger" Imron in '82. My '63 Falcon chassis was painted with gloss black Imron in '95, and just this summer detailed the bottom of the GT500 with black Imron. In my experience have found NOTHING more durable. The down sides are, it's wicked expensive ($250.00 retail) for 3-quarts, plus $70.00 for the required catalyst a bit more for reducer. The other issue is toxicity. It's as nasty as it gets. Can you say, "isocyonate". Bet your local oncologist can. Chipping is not a paint defect. Read and follow the God damn procedures. The key is proper metal prep and primer. Granted, you can get better gloss and depth from a BC/CC system, but if you use/race/show your rig, there is no better choice.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I had Imron sprayed on a sports car in the late 70's. It was white and it shined like nothing else. I never waxed it, I just washed it. Very durable and no problems. It was expensive and brittle if it was abused with blunt objects.

The only problem was the imperfections in the body from the factory really stood out. It was very unforgiving if the sharp eye looked at the body closely.

I would use it if I wanted durability and low maintainance. Great for the street, and I am sure it would be great for the trail riders. I feel it would be terrible if you had a body with imperfections, nothing could hide.

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
It does not seem like I have a solid stand on this subject. I kinda sounds like it is OK and that it will work, but kinda pricey. I also sounds like I can get just as good, but with less money?

palm428

Loc.
Northern colorado
I would use a good base clear coat system . I use Dupont Chroma base finishes. I painted my 1977 f250 over 11 year ago and my bronco 4 years ago, they both shine the same and haven’t faded any. When you use a base clear system it has a lot of vantages :) , you can blend the paint in a lot faster and easier. If you scratch the clear you can wet sand with 1500 grit sand paper and buff out scratches faster and easier . The Chroma clear is a little softer and won’t chip as easy. Base clear can be blended easier because you don’t have to paint the panel you can blend in small spots . The clears lay out and shine a lot better. Base clear systems have a lot more price ranges and quality of clears. The metallic looks a lot deeper in color and doesn’t fade . You have a lot more color choices . I have painted with Imron and it is a good paint and is very hard paint and is hard to scratch , but if you chip the paint it is a lot harder to fix and some times you have to blend the entire panel :( . If you paint a metallic color and don’t use a clear and scratch the paint and try buff the scratch out it will mess up metallics and make the paint job look bad . Imron has a base clear system but is very expensive but it shines like glass if spayed right. Imron is in sold in solid, metallic colors .and pearl colors . But is vary high in price. I would go with the cheaper b/c like chroma base or a ppg b/c system it is cheaper and you have more advantages with clears and bases . a lot faster and easyer to blend and touch up if the paint job needs fixed.

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
I painted my '57 Fairlane 500 with Dupont Centari. It's an enamel. Some time later I had an impact socket get loose and of course it landed right inthe middle of the hood. The dent was there and a tiny chip of paint left but in the last year it hasn't gone any farther. I have two gallons of Centari Yellow for my Bronco and it'll be my choice.