• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Lift and Mount Torque Spec

f2502011

What are the torque specs for body mount bolts? Also what’s the best way to lift up the body slightly so I can slide a washer in? Trying to raise the body up just enough so hood doesn’t rub air cleaner. About an 1/8 inch or so.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you still running stock original body mounts?
If so that should probably be easier. I’ll try to find a stock torque specifications, but it probably doesn’t matter that much. Once they are torqued originally at the factory they pretty much don’t move from that position. All you will be doing is removing and replacing a bolt with no effect on the mount assembly itself.

For lifting, the quickest and easiest for most of us is probably to loosen all eight bolts, remove the four from just one side and lift that side with a floor jack and a long piece of wood under a rocker panel.
I think I used 3 foot long 4 x 4 the last time.

Just be sure to unfasten the radiator fan shroud in the engine compartment. Even if you’re only lifting the vehicle enough to get a thin washer in a mount, you might still run into interference with the cooling fan and shroud.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I should emphasize the fact that you need to lift the absolute minimum necessary to get the job done. If you are lifting more than a half an inch or so you’ll probably want to disconnect a few other things.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can probably lift just the corner then, but personally I would still loosen all the bolts so you're not trying to twist sheet metal even that little bit.
Loosen all 8, but the side you're working on at the time get loosened more. Lift it the amount you need, slip the shims in and bolt it back down.
Can probably leave it at 25lbs or so, but that's just a guess. I'm sure that size bolt could go all the way to 40 or so, but that seems overkill for the use and I believe they are coarse thread anyway so should not be maxed out if possible.

Are they the stock original body mounts? If so then the mounts will stay clamped to the frame the body will come up off the top of the top plate of the "clam shell" arrangement. If that's the proper term.
With stock mounts you can undo the bolts and lift the body straight up and the mounts will all stay in position even if you try to knock them around. They're clamped but good!

Paul