• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body lift fan shroud options

wrestler034

I have a 2 inch Body lift on my 73. I also have a new glass shroud(stock height) that I bought before the body lift was purchased. Is there a way to modify the stock shroud to work? I know that Toms sells a dropped shroud but i cant see spending the 110 bucks they want for it especially since i have the new one already. Also if that wont work does anyone make radiator drop brackets that will work?

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
For my 3" Lift I used 2 pieces of 4" by 3/16" plate by the lenth of the radiator
drilled and tapped to bolt to radiator and welded studs to use nuts for the shroud. worked out very well as it blocks of the used portion or the radiator and forces the air throug the shroud. I have 0 overheating problems never gets over 180 and wheel pretty hard here in AZ.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Just cut the new one in half horizontally then use some strap metal and rivets to make it one piece again after it's installed.

J.D.

Hazegray

Hummm...I ran across the same problem 2 weeks ago. I had a stock sized steel fan shroud & 2" body lift. I just clearanced (half-mooned) the lower passenger side with a jigsaw, fits fine.

Lttrbox

Loc.
IF
sprinksbeme, I originally set mine up the same way you have shown in your pics and had some interesting overheat problems. Maybe due to the flex fan I had on the other side. Mine ended up creating a sort of high pressure area to the passenger bottom side of the radiator. Believe it or not it was pushing air the wrong way through that area of the radiator and then suck it back through a little higher. No problem going over 10 mph, but at low speeds it would continue to heat up. This stumped me for quite awhile unitl I was smoking and the smoke just happed to go in the right spot and I saw it. Needless to say I was dumbfounded, I checked it again, again, and again. Then I checked with a shop towel, crap. I just used the stock schround as a template and made one that fits the rad just right. Problem solved.

I guess I asking are you sure no overheat problem. If not, it had to be my fan.

RustyNutz

Loc.
Coos Bay
I have a 2" BL and I used the James Duff radiator lowering kit, worked great and keeps the stock shroud centered on the radiator for max cooling.

Rusty

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
Lttrbox, I have no over heating problems and I am just using the stock fan and radiator. The shroud is a steel replacement for Driven Auto Parts. The top plate I cut just a little short but otherwise on the engine side there is no exposed radiator so the fan has to pull thru the radiator, never had temps over 180 even slow going in 100+ days. the main thing is to force the air thru the radiator
Marty