• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

body prep for paint Q's

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
Planing on getting the tub soda blasted.
Do I need to get every last bit of the seem sealer out? Will the soda blast through the little stuff that gets left behind? I've got some rust in the rear quarter panel seem and I've got most of the sealer out by scraping with a paint scraper, but there are some spots that still have a little like on the welds holding the two together. I'll probably try a wire brush on it too. Will the soda blast the rust out of the seems or should I go for something more abrasive?

Anyone used a DIY soda blaster unit and your compressor like one of these?

http://www.eastwood.com/soda-blasting/soda-blasters/soda-blaster-starter-kit-w-media.html

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
First off, that is NOT a soda blast pot. That's a sand pot modified to use soda. You need to push a ton of air in order to do the job properly and I promise you, your compressor won't do it! You will easily need 400-600 pounds of soda to blast a Bronco (that's why it's so expensive). If you want your project done right, use a professional.

Also soda while great at not heating panels (which is the main cause of warpage), it does not remove deep rot (rust). It is great at light rust like floor pan rust, but isn't great at the bad stuff. That's really not that big of a deal, if your planning on doing it right and replacing those sections.

Media simply doesn't remove seam sealer or undercoating very well. So if you want it out before you blast it, you have to scrape it out or burn it out with a propane torch then scrape it out, you can also use a wire wheel.

Remember if you use soda, you need to pressure wash the parts in order to get the bicarbonate residue off before you apply primer or your primer will peal right off.

Good luck. Post pix when your done.

OP
OP
Sac '68 sport

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
Thanks for the tips.
I've pretty much scraped out all I can scrape with the 5 in 1, razor knife etc. It's just the last little bits of sealer and scale down deep in the cracks and around the welds on the back corners that I'm worried about. I'll try the wire wheel and maybe a heat gun but it's way down in there. The rust in and around the seams isn't all the way through but it is more than just surface rust. There are no holes but there is some metal that I could flake off with the 5 in 1 where it bubbled up around the lower rear Q pannel to rear the corner seam. Don't want that to happen again. At what point do you go to pannel replacement over cleaning? If I can get to shiny metal I'm assuming that's good, but is there a way to make sure the Q pannel seams are clean way down inside the seam with out taking the whole rear corner off? Would rather avoid that if possible as I think putting it back together with the final results I'm looking for is beyond my skill level. I don't think a wire wheel will be able to get way down in there though. Could that be media blasted clean? Any other ideas on getting that seam cleaned out?