• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body stuff ...help

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
I'm not a mechanic at all but I'm about 100 times more comfortable under the hood than with body work...so bear with me! There are about five different things contributing to a problem here, and I don't know where to go.

Part 1: I have a gap that runs along the between the windshield and the front frame of the wing window. Its bad enough that you can actually see into the car, especially toward the bottom.

Part 2: There drivers' side door is not aligned well. It doesn't close flush with the rear panel -- sticks out.

Part 3: There's a large gap between the tailgate and the bottom of the lift gate. Again, its large enough that you can see through it (~1/4").

Part 4: Both doors "leak" air at your elbow while driving.

The passenger's door looks pretty good in terms of hanging.

I tried to fix this by sliding the top forward on the body (making the windshield a bit steeper) to correct the gap between the windshield and the front of the door.

This seemed to work ok, but required me to move the back of the door up...so I tried to shim up the bottom hinge and the door felt like it was binding. Then I noticed that the top hinge was shimmed with some washers, so I removed those. Now the door sits too high in the back (striker plate won't move up enough to make it open smoothly) and just looks like crap.

Also, now the back of the door is high enough that its hitting the bottom of the corner of the top...so it would appear that I would have to shim up the top.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something easy? Whats a good ("right") way to shim/ adjust hinges or the top?

Thanks in advance...always something new %)

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
It sounds like you have a gasket missing at the front of your door and lower windshield. Someone has probably cut the top of it off.

OP
OP
S

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
here's some pictures.
driverbackxn7.jpg
Circled area is where the door has hit the bottom corner of the top.
driverfrontlb8.jpg

Large gap between the windshield and the front frame...you can see into the cab.
drivertopxj3.jpg

Circled area is where drivers side door has clipped windshield frame.
gapfk8.jpg

Large gap between tailgate and liftgate.
passbackdf5.jpg

Gap between top and rear of passenger door.
toppasswf2.jpg

Circled area is where passenger door has clipped windshield frame.

Tips? ?:?

1owner66

Loc.
Georgetown Texas
I don't know for sure but with all the problems you show here on both sides of it my first guess is the #2 body bushings (the ones at your feet sitting in it) are shot. That would cause the body to sag in the middle.

OP
OP
S

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
Thanks, I'll check that out. A body shop guy actually told me the same thing. He suggested shimming it up. How can I know if the mount is worn out or if it needs shims?

1owner66

Loc.
Georgetown Texas
I would go ahead and invest in new mounts. If you are going to the trouble to shim some up may as well replace them all. I can't look at mine right now but I am willing to bet that there is some way to measure from the frame to the body at all 8 mount points to see just where you are at. They all should be the same measurement. If not, that will tell you what ones are bad. Another thing to think about is your frame at those points could be rusted out.

OP
OP
S

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
Sorry, got caught up in other projects. The body mounts are new and the frame is fine (as in rust free, it may be warped or something).

I was going to take it to a body shop but I have a few days before they'll be available.

Can someone give me the measurement from the top of their windshield to the back corner of their tub? That way I can figure the windshield angle is correct, I think that would be a good starting place.

Anyone in the Houston area know anything about body work?

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Where in Houston?
From what I see, it seems you just need to adjust the doors. I could be wrong though.
There are a number of us on the north side and a few scattered around the south side (we don't count them though).
I see your registration is up to date, might make you come to me so we can figure it out.;D

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
make sure your door hinges are tight and not sloppy before you go through the time & money to get them lined up by a body shop. shim the body up and around as needed to get the panels to line up right.just because the bushings are new doesn't mean that the body didn't sag around the old ones. the cross member collaps as well which can show in the body.

there are a number of things that contribute to all your above mentioned things and are pretty much covered in all the answers.
hth