• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Tub and Value? - Pictures Added 1969 Bronco

Glredmanii

I had a post two days ago regarding a new tub for my 1969 Bronco. Thanks for the reply. I've now added pictures and still trying to decide how to proceed with the restoration. New Tub or repair as many of the parts as possible.

The body shop is suggesting a new tub. They are going to charge $75 per hour and claim it will add up quickly to repair/rebuild this bronco.

I like the tub at http://dennis-carpenter.com/BroncoBodyTub.aspx

Will it hurt the resale value to have a "new tub" as opposed to a bronco with all original parts/body. Or as many as possible original. I am afraid I'll end up spending $25-$30k on this restoration and if I go with a tub, not be able to get my money back if I decide to sell it. What do you think about a fully restored bronco with a "tub?"

And, what is the Bronco worth as it is now? I also have the original top that's in decent condition. The 302 engine runs as well.

Gary Redman

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 173

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Some pictures of other rust prone areas (door post, striker posts, hat channel, inner front clip, cowl etc) would help determine which way to go.

With that being said I've fixed worse from what I can see from your pictures. Many other guys here have done so as well.

A good 110v welder and a little practice you should be able to as well. Lot's of valuable insight can be found here to help you out.

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
Looks a bit better than mine depending on the door posts. I'm repairing. If you talk to all the builders and venders, they all pretty much agree that the DC tubs will need quite a bit of work to up to snuff. Krawlers Edge deals with them directly and they said, in my case, they would repair mine. You should give them a call and send them a bunch of pics, they seem like they'd be good to work with and even though the process is still big money, it's still shy of some of the "just ripping off a super rich guy" prices. No offense if you are a super rich guy.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey there. Welcome to classicbroncos from here too!
Tending to lean towards the new tub usually too. But at your shop's relatively low hourly rate, it might balance out. But the new body usually has the bang-for-the-buck advantage when most of the body is rusty.
As others have said though, yours doesn't look as bad as most. But we need more detailed shots to be sure.

For actual resale value you're already at a disadvantage because you're paying someone to do the work. This is standard procedure for many of course, but has never been the best way to get your money back. History is full of hot-rods and customs built for many thousands of dollars, only to be sold for less than a third of what they paid.
So I would not worry overmuch about that aspect at this point. It's going to cost you more to do than you can sell it for at the current market values if you do it right. If you cut corners and cover stuff up to flip it, you can still turn a buck but won't have any fun driving it while you own it.
Sorry, but those are the generally accepted cold hard facts.

The good news is that it sounds like you want to keep it for awhile and have the nice Bronco you wanted. And are just thinking ahead with regard to value. For that you can have a lot of fun for your money still.
And with luck the values will keep rising for a few more years and you may in fact get most of your money back.
Or not...

It's way too early to tell if the new body vs original body is a hit or miss with values. Not many are out there (that are known of anyway) to compare to. And at the current market rates, unless you have some strange and rare Bronco, a re-painted fully custom one with lots of new sheet metal generally gets more money than a standard restoration. That seems to be changing a bit though, as more and more get into the Bronco fever and start looking for originality and low miles and "rust free" examples.
Some bone stock EB's have gotten some pretty stellar prices.

Of course, you can put a new body on it and literally less than 1% of buyers would likely ever know. How would you tell the difference? Some very minor hole changes in the firewall is the most obvious between a '69 and later models that the bodies are patterned after. But I believe even there some of the bodies are coming with the old and new holes already punched? Can't remember but someone will know.
All variations are very minor and most buyers wont' know or care as long as they get a nice Bronco.

With the B-pillar decals readily available from Marti Auto, making it appear to look original gets much easier still.
Not sure if they have the early decal style that the '69 would have, but they have at least some of the styles Ford went through during those years.

The $75 an hour rate is fantastic actually! Around here it's $200 and many of the resident classicbroncos.com members that are professional restorers can expect their builds to start at $80k and normally hit $100k and higher marks.
So yeah, you're at an advantage right off the bat.
But still not going to get your money back by having a pro do the work. It should be good work though, and won't tie up your garage for three years while you putter about in the time available. But it costs so much more (unless you bill for your own time too of course;D) that return-on-investment goes right out the window in most cases.

There are exceptions of course, but they're pretty rare with any vehicle.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I forgot to mention the '69 thread started the other day. It's here in the Chat section started by ToddZ and is looking to track down the transition time between vacuum and electric wipers and some other odds & ends that changed in '69.
If you get the chance pop over there and post up your info.

Thanks

Paul

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the last tubs i saw from broncoconnection looked good and the price was also good.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Your tub doesn't look that rough, like others said more pictures of door post, inner fenders would be nice. New tubs range from 5-6 for fiber glass and 8-10k for fully assembled metal ones. Get more pictures and we can give you a better idea...

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
From most people I've talked to about it, it sounds to me like if you threw $11 at one you'd still be a long way away from having a truck. I've heard good things about the Bronco Connection tubs too but not so good things about Bronco Connection. Even if they are perfect, all your other body panels that aren't included with that base price, be they your old panels (if they are in good enough shape) or be they aftermarket panels (which everyone says are hard to get good fitment) will have to be purchased, shipped, and assembled and messaged. I think the full shot, minus the top, from Bronco Connection is something like 15k. Maybe I'm slightly off topic here but the full picture might look a bit different.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think you're right on the money (pun intended) with the cost and what you end up with and still need to do.
Our Justin at WH knows another company (I can never remember the name) that's building Bronco bodies one at a time at what seems like pretty fair pricing for a pretty precise build. He will even seam-seal the entire thing and probably also will fit front fenders upon request too.
Seems like the fitting of the fronts would be a pretty good idea while the other parts are being fitted.
You would think it's the easiest thing that you can do yourself, but really like tabyers was saying they're not exactly the finest fit no matter what. And that is not limited to just aftermarket. There have been several reports of NOS (new old stock) original front fenders not fitting any better than the new stuff.

Always a fun proposition, this body stuff.

Paul

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
Well now I'm really going to hijack this one. I think the value question was answered well. Rydog, if you had it to do over again...? My truck was originally from CA so it has solid pans (for the most part) solid inner rockers, the cowl is great, but I've got holes in all four posts and both kicks are bad top and bottom. I think if I had to come as far as you did, I'd get a LAL or a Bronco Connection. I'm obviously not as brave or skilled as you are and will be referencing your thread for sure. I'm thinking I'm going to tear into this one I've got myself. I figure if a get a few things apart and it gets scarier than when I started and I can't seem to turn the corner on it, I can always shift gears and only be out a couple hundred bucks worth of metal and a whole bunch of garage time. Any warnings? And has anyone seen either of those tubs in person? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1134.jpg
    IMG_1134.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1144.jpg
    IMG_1144.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 27

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Tabyers - the short and sweet answer is I'd probably never do what I just did unless I was retired. However, I am glad I did it because I now have the knowledge and confidence to fix anything I come across. If it's just the areas you described I feel like you could tackle it fairly easy. Your biggest challenge will be lining up your doors again once you remove the post. Its tricky but not impossible. I have a feeling once you start opening things up your going to find other stuff you weren't anticipating. Biggest thing take measurements of EVERYTHING and BRACE EVERYTHING before you cut anything.... you do this and you'll be ok, plus self tapping sheet metal screws are your best friends!