• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body work...Where to start??????? PICS ADDED

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
Hopefully this year I will start on the body work that is needed on my '66. I have thought about a few different options but I do not know what to do.
1st option: repair rotten spots on current tub.
2nd option: buy another tub, repair anything needed, swap out with current tub, sell old tub.
3rd option: fiberglass...if I win the lottery

What is the better route to go? I am not a "body man". I have never done paint and body work. Then again I was not a "mechanic" before I bought my EB either. I would like some pointers. Any helpful hints are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I vote for #1 or #2. I'm not a full-body fiberglass fan. But can you find a good tub to do #2??? If you went with #1, you could maybe gain some experience and knowledge along the way.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Do you have pictures of how bad it is? What does it need and how close to perfect do you want it? As you are probably aware you can get just about everything to repair your tub, and it might be difficult to find a good tub.

I am not a fiberglass body fan. They do look decent but I like original steel tubs myself.

roccolukasik

Loc.
Ohio Michigan border
I went with everything fiberglass and believe me if you want a nice looking bronco you have alot of body work even with fiberglass they dont come perfect ready to paint,wont be quite as extensive as steel but there is alot of blocking and sanding and filling.I love the glass if you do it right you can't tell the difference.whatever route you go good luck and take your time it's worth it in the long run.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
What do you want the truck to look like? Are you going show truck, trail truck, daily driver, or a little of everything? Post some pics of how bad it is. Doing body work is very time consuming, frustrating, but in the end very rewarding. If the body is real bad try to find a better tub it will be worht the money.

OP
OP
bgs26

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
I am not looking to do a show truck or do a frame off restoration. I want it to be solid though. I will try to take some pics tonight and post asap.

abrush

Loc.
Springfield, NE
Well if you decide to repair your current tub that is one way you will learn to do body work. I learned on a very rusty 1966 Mustang. Now that I look back I don't feel that was probley the best project to learn on, as the rust was very severe and would have taken a skilled body man a lot of time and work, but I do feel confident enough now to complete my own projects by myself. It is nice to learn how to do everything as it saves you a lot of money in the long haul!

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
X2 on doing the work yourself.

You can do allot of work without pulling the tub. I say go for it. It is not that bad and is a good winter project if you can live without your rig for a few months.

I did rockers, strikers, kick panels, inner fenders, door pillars, and the floor while it was on the frame. It took me 3 months with a few nights and weekends. Oh and I had not welded before I started the project.

If you do it I have a couple of tips.... Weld supports in before you start, and take lots of measurements.

And look out for the project snowball if you decide to go further.

OP
OP
bgs26

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
Here are the pics of my rust. After really looking into it, most of the rust will be repaired by replacing the floor pans. I think I have decided to just repair my tub. I guess I am just intimidated my the body work. Anyway, let me know what you guys think about the rust.

Attachments

• bronco rust 001.jpg
    bronco rust 001.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 74
  • bronco rust 002.jpg
    bronco rust 002.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 61
  • bronco rust 003.jpg
    bronco rust 003.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 61
  • bronco rust 004.jpg
    bronco rust 004.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 57
  • bronco rust 005.jpg
    bronco rust 005.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 46
  • bronco rust 006.jpg
    bronco rust 006.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 49
  • bronco rust 007.jpg
    bronco rust 007.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 36
  • bronco rust 008.jpg
    bronco rust 008.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 30
  • bronco rust 009.jpg
    bronco rust 009.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 36
  • bronco rust 010.jpg
    bronco rust 010.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 52
  • bronco rust 012.jpg
    bronco rust 012.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 59
  • bronco rust 013.jpg
    bronco rust 013.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 34

VBH289

Loc.
Colorado
Not bad. Hell, I have no floor on the drivers side of my 66' and the inner fenders look like expanded steel (not a bad idea... but only if it started that way)
You have some work, but it looks like it would be a fun exploit, and you will learn the ways of the hammer and drill quickly hahahaha

ArmyCOL

Looks a lot better than mine. Every time I touch something I discover the only thing holding it together is the rust.

Good luck.

Chuck

VBH289

Loc.
Colorado
I thought the same thing with mine when I got in the first time and my feet fell though the floor :X

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you rebuild it I would suggest the following:

Jack it up by the corners of the frame to a comfortable height to work on. Make sure its very level and drop the axles.

Replace the body mounts with new ones or temporary blocks. Tweek everything to eliminate any sag which is common across the body crosmembers. Get all of the door gaps, body lines straigh and dimensions correct. Tack weld braces to hold everything firmly in place.

Start cutting out and replacing pannels one section at a time and don't be in too big of a hurry to do the final welds until everything fits up. PK screws and Clekos work very well for fitting things up.

I just mention this because my frist one came out crooked as hell when it came time to fit the doors, front fenders, tailgate, hood, etc.

Good luck and post pictures.