• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BOLT ON, No machining rear discs!!!

OP
OP
TOFIC

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
This sounds like an easy install, but is it all easily obtainable parts at my local parts store? If not, finding the stuff is usually worse than fabbing something up that is needed.

yep, bought the calipers myself, the rotors new were common as dirt and the one modification you have to make is so simple I was sick when the next door neighbour showed me how to do it.

I will do a tech article but which one??
modifying a small bearing rearend and installing the discs or - - - -
Just the disc brake modification?
I wont start the article until I have the rear Ebrake figured out though!!
TOFIC

jimbo11

Loc.
columbus
rear rotors

After installing a few of the rear disc setups available, I decided there has to be a better way of doing this.EVEN for us bearing challenged individuals. (guys with small bearing rear ends.) Machining axles and bolting rotors to rear of axle does not cut it with me. So, I went on a mission to find the true bolt on rear disc setup. Had to be Ford, Parts readily available and no messing with the axles or axle ends. Rotors had to fit on the STOCK Bronco axle end. After much searching and digging and trial and error, here it is Lincoln rear setup with Crown Vicky rotors!! absolutely no axle machining!, no welding!, no fuss no problems straight bolt on!! Two small alterations and it is in!! Pictures for proof. One picture shows my template for redrilling the rotors to the bronco bolt pattern, strongly recommend you make this. remember no axle machining was the rule and this meets it hands down. After figureing this all out I converted my small bearing, drum brake rear to rear discs in a little more than 3 hours. (well not quite but thats another story) This alteration could be done to a large bearing rear end in less than 2 hours a side.
TOFIC

Im running rear exployer brakes and having a hard time finding finder rotors. I have a big bearing axle (torino style) and can't find rotor 5x5 1/2. Will any of these rotor work on my rig? Thanks Jim jfoster1500@sbcglobal.net

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Im running rear exployer brakes and having a hard time finding finder rotors. I have a big bearing axle (torino style) and can't find rotor 5x5 1/2. Will any of these rotor work on my rig? Thanks Jim jfoster1500@sbcglobal.net

Jim: If you want Explorer rotors that are drilled to the 5-5.5 pattern, you can get them from Currie Enterprises.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
TOFIC

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Jim: If you want Explorer rotors that are drilled to the 5-5.5 pattern, you can get them from Currie Enterprises.

Todd Z.

Hey Todd::!
Good to hear from you, got a question for you and I know the guys will want to know this. what master cylinder do you run with 4 wheel discs?? Yea, i know, i asked before but I have 'misplaced' your answer.
TOFIC

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey Todd::!
Good to hear from you, got a question for you and I know the guys will want to know this. what master cylinder do you run with 4 wheel discs?? Yea, i know, i asked before but I have 'misplaced' your answer.
TOFIC

Right now I'm running a late '90s Dodge truck master cylinder, 1.25" bore, but I'm going back to my favorite - the mid '80s Dodge truck master cylinder (1.125" bore) here pretty shortly -'83-'93 are safe years for it at the parts store.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
After installing a few of the rear disc setups available, I decided there has to be a better way of doing this.EVEN for us bearing challenged individuals. (guys with small bearing rear ends.) Machining axles and bolting rotors to rear of axle does not cut it with me. So, I went on a mission to find the true bolt on rear disc setup. Had to be Ford, Parts readily available and no messing with the axles or axle ends. Rotors had to fit on the STOCK Bronco axle end. After much searching and digging and trial and error, here it is Lincoln rear setup with Crown Vicky rotors!! absolutely no axle machining!, no welding!, no fuss no problems straight bolt on!! Two small alterations and it is in!! Pictures for proof. One picture shows my template for redrilling the rotors to the bronco bolt pattern, strongly recommend you make this. remember no axle machining was the rule and this meets it hands down. After figureing this all out I converted my small bearing, drum brake rear to rear discs in a little more than 3 hours. (well not quite but thats another story) This alteration could be done to a large bearing rear end in less than 2 hours a side.
TOFIC

So TOFIC, I'm assuming you have to re-drill the hole pattern in the bearing retainers/caliper holder brackets to use on your small bearing housing, correcto??

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Here are some pictures of what to look for. I pulled these parts but have not installed them yet. I'm kicking myself because I always write down all of the vehicle Id information when I pull a part so I know what to order replacement parts from. I lost my dumpster diving note book with all of this valuable data. I do know that it was mid sized ford 4 door sedan with a big bearing 9 inch, positrack (or whatever is was called) coiles springs... It had 28 spline axles with 5 on 5 flanges. The bearing retainer/calliper bracket is a two piece unit held together by two large bolts.

Dave: An easy way application to remember for the pieces you have is the 75-79 Lincoln Mark V. As you noted, they were also used as an option on some Ford sedans and station wagons of the same era.

TOFIC: unless your setup is very different than what I think I'm seeing in your pictures, you're using the exact same bits in your conversion (except the rotors, of course).

Todd Z.

OP
OP
TOFIC

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
So TOFIC, I'm assuming you have to re-drill the hole pattern in the bearing retainers/caliper holder brackets to use on your small bearing housing, correcto??

Todd Z.

nope, NOT QUITE. the bearing retainers are intact. I had a couple of axle end plates made with the big bearing pattern (15 bucks) and cut the old small pattern axle end off and welded on my new "big bolt" pattern end plate. Have pictures of this if you would like to see the end result. A little work, I admit, but well worth it on the conversion. I am a little nervous around cast everytime I try to do something with cast it breaks.
Yes this disc setup in these pictures are 78 Lincoln.
Yes I redrilled the rotors, picture of my pattern sheet in the first posting. Real easy to do, took me about 10 minutes a rotor to drill and fit them.
now, I am off to the UJerk yard for a dodge truck master, mid 80's to early 90's right Todd??
TOFIC

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
nope, NOT QUITE. the bearing retainers are intact. I had a couple of axle end plates made with the big bearing pattern (15 bucks) and cut the old small pattern axle end off and welded on my new "big bolt" pattern end plate. Have pictures of this if you would like to see the end result. A little work, I admit, but well worth it on the conversion. I am a little nervous around cast everytime I try to do something with cast it breaks.
Yes this disc setup in these pictures are 78 Lincoln.
Yes I redrilled the rotors, picture of my pattern sheet in the first posting. Real easy to do, took me about 10 minutes a rotor to drill and fit them.
now, I am off to the UJerk yard for a dodge truck master, mid 80's to early 90's right Todd??
TOFIC

Ah, ok, the missing link to convert from small bearing to large bearing :). Yes, you are right on your years for the master cylinder.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
TOFIC

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Ah, ok, the missing link to convert from small bearing to large bearing :). Yes, you are right on your years for the master cylinder.

Todd Z.

AGAIN not quite, I had the mounting plate changed, not the bearing end.
I made an end plate out of 5/16 plate and welded it onto the end of the axle.
What I did was grind off the mounting plate and welded on the new plate with the large bolt pattern. I still have a small bearing rear end.
Follow what I am trying to say???
TOFIC

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
What I did was grind off the mounting plate and welded on the new plate with the large bolt pattern. I still have a small bearing rear end.
TOFIC

10-4. I understood what you did - should've added "mounting pattern" or something like that onto my "bearing" statement :)

Todd Z.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I am reviving this thread because:

1. I am sick of searching for it.
2. I am looking to improve slightly on the bolt on aspect.

Let me explain, I have the same rear Disc brake set up that I am getting ready to add to my 74. I also have a BB rear end and I have not decided yet on if I rebuild the BB or modify the SB under the 74 already. The real issue is that I have hooked up with someone at a brake supply house that specializes in this kind of stuff and has done this mod to 100's of stock cars.

So my dilemma - I need to know if the offset is different between the SB and the BB and also the donor axle. This guy who is helping me out is going to help me find rotors that DO NOT have to be redrilled, or atleast that is my hope, so everyone that has any info about this mod what so ever, chime in! I want what rotors have worked for you and what you have had to do to make them work. I will share the results as they become available. Any measurements such as diameter, offset, etc.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Let me explain, I have the same rear Disc brake set up that I am getting ready to add to my 74. I also have a BB rear end and I have not decided yet on if I rebuild the BB or modify the SB under the 74 already. The real issue is that I have hooked up with someone at a brake supply house that specializes in this kind of stuff and has done this mod to 100's of stock cars.

So my dilemma - I need to know if the offset is different between the SB and the BB and also the donor axle. This guy who is helping me out is going to help me find rotors that DO NOT have to be redrilled, or atleast that is my hope, so everyone that has any info about this mod what so ever, chime in! I want what rotors have worked for you and what you have had to do to make them work. I will share the results as they become available. Any measurements such as diameter, offset, etc.

Not trying to add confusion here but do you know there was a third option for rear ends in 74'-75' the medium duty and Explorer rear disc's are almost a bolt on for those you can buy those rotors predrilled from Currie. http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=1921

OP
OP
TOFIC

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta

I can sympathise with you on this.
As to the offset of the different bearing ends there may be. There is 3 different axle end patterns and I am willing to bet there is 3 different offsets.
As to the difference, I made adjustments by using the rotor off a Crown Victoria with the rear disc option. Had to drill though. If you are looking for a rotor that has the 5 on 51/2 pattern that MAY work try the front rotor off a 83 ford 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup. You may have to turn down the axle end though
How's that for clouding the issue some more??
TOFIC

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Well TOFIC, I read somewhere (and I believe you PM'ed me as well) that a 78 CJ 5/7 front rotor might work as well, but according to the guy I contacted there are two options, redrill the current rotor or use a newer Ford 1/2 ton, but that would require a shimming of the bracket as well as likely sanding down the new pads since the rotor is about an inch thick. I think I will plan on getting the BB rear end rebuilt with the brackets on there and then make sure the old rotors fit. Then Order and drill out new ones. I have a freind at a machine shop that can turn the inside diameters for me and I will like make a spare set and put them on the shelf when I get that far.

raleigh_bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey TOFIC,

Did you ever finish your tech article for the small bearing rear discs?

reynard101

Bronco Guru
TOFIC

I know... posting to an old thread.

I made a set of mounting plates to change end plates. Here's what I came up with. see below.

I cut and ground off the old end plates leaving a round axle end that my fabricated plate fit over snuggly. I just cut off the "ears" of the end plate, no axle or bearing areas were removed. Just welded the new end plate on while being careful that the t-bolts still fit.

Attachments

• DSC01351_endplate.jpg
    DSC01351_endplate.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 24