• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bracing floor channel support rail ?

screamin reel

Loc.
Calgary, Alberta, Ca
I noticed all of my floor channel support rails are cracked. Should I just grind and re-weld or does everybody do something else to strengthen these.

Attachments

• 1b2.jpg
    1b2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 1b21.jpg
    1b21.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 131

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
They probably arent cracked, if you have ever tried to fold a piece that has a 90 degree bend in it (like angle iron for example), you would understand. They notch it so it can be bent and the two ends (approximately) meet; they are then held in that position by being tack-welded to the floor pans which reinforces/shores it all up. I just got done re-freshing my pans and tunnel area and I am trying to remember if mine were relieved like I just described...I want to say yes, but now that I have thought about it, no, no they were not, from the factory they are not relieved instead they actually over bend them to where there is a bit of a gap there at the corner there (on mine anyway). If anyone else has previously done the floors or repaired the channel on your truck, I would guess that they corrected this by relieving the corner and making the edges meet the panel flush. I did this with mine at the top of the hump plus I removed much of the brace there in the center to accomodate my NV4500 and installed a 3/4" sq tube sub-frame for floor support and quick drivetrain access.

In short, once you are otherwise done working on your floors, then weld the seam or "crack" and you should be fine. Weld-thru primer is your friend. Best of luck.

John

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
mine were the SAME way... i just cleaned them up and welded 'em up...figured it couldn't hurt.

Luke

Broncitis

MEB Founder
They are mitered from the factory, not cracked. Although a few tack welds or a small bead would not hurt if it makes you feel better.

OP
OP
screamin reel

screamin reel

Loc.
Calgary, Alberta, Ca
I can see where they are mitered but without the support of the floor pan they droop about 25 degrees. I would think it should be able to support it's own weight.
I will clean them up and throw a few tack welds on them.

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
The previous owner of my 1969 cut mine out completely!!!!! SO the NP435 could stick thru ----- I am brainstorming on how to fix this as well....any ideas???