• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake Backing Plate Bolts - Source?

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Anyone know where I can find brake backing plate bolts and nuts? I'm sure I can order these, but I need some today. Just wondering if auto parts stores normally carry these.

FYI - it's for a 72, big bearing 9".

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think they're called T-bolts and yours would likely be 1/2" diameter.
We have them (https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Heavy_Duty_Rear_End_Housing_TBolts/Bronco_Rear_Housing) but that doesn't do you any good locally.

Might find the same at a Fastenal or Grainger type place maybe. Being Sunday, I have no idea, but a big, well stocked NAPA store (with old-timer behind the counter if you can find such a place!) might be your best bet.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I suppose in a pinch you could make your own too. Get some grade-8's that have that little bit of shank, shorten them if needed, then grind down the heads to fit.

Not sure if any commonly available bolts have those short shanks, but it's possible.

Paul

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I ran into the same issue, trying to find them locally. No luck! At least not new. Found a differential shop that had some used ones they gave me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk