• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake Conv. and new Hubs C-Clip Issue ?

csmith441

Loc.
Edmond, OK
Is it normal to not be able to get the Snap Ring back on the end of the axle to hold the manual locking hub in place ?

I've read the Tech Article and it shows a bolt and washer, my kit from Graveyard states that the outer clip will no longer be used. It seems there are different views of the spacing allowed for the hubs.

I have mine together and the slot where the Snap Ring attached to the axle is still inside the spindle and it will not come out any farther. I installed the gasket (Rubber billowy thing), spacer and inner seal before I put the spindle and backing plate on the knuckle. Would the spacer that came with kit cause this issue??

Or I put a bolt and washer and call it a day? If so what is the size of the nut needed and thread pattern..

Thanks

Chris

P.S. Sorry if this is already a thread. I did look before I asked.

Last edited:

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
We are running a chevy disc conv. Warn chrmo axles, warn prem hubs and the end snap ring will not fit; and it has worked just fine for over 2 years

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
The snap ring holds the axle tight against the hub seal (rubber billowy thing). Without it being tight crud and water can find it's way past the seal.

Are you close to getting the snap ring on by maybe a .10 or so?
When you pressed in the needle bearing into the hub did you set it just flush with the surface or did you set it deep enough that there was room for the spindle bearing seal to sit in about half way?

OP
OP
C

csmith441

Loc.
Edmond, OK
Shamu... Are you still using the out retaining ring on yours??

bad 68... Im not even seeing the slot for the snap ring. The bearing races were already pressed in when I got the hubs, I even emailed Bronco Graveyard to verify them pressed in. They have to be all pressed in there good, I have tightened and turned and redone the lock washers several times.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Shamu... Are you still using the out retaining ring on yours??

bad 68... Im not even seeing the slot for the snap ring. The bearing races were already pressed in when I got the hubs, I even emailed Bronco Graveyard to verify them pressed in. They have to be all pressed in there good, I have tightened and turned and redone the lock washers several times.

I am running the big 4" hub ring' just no lock rings on the axle it self. That help?
Here is a pic of the big ring

Attachments

• Lock ring 001.jpg
    Lock ring 001.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Lock ring 002.jpg
    Lock ring 002.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

csmith441

Loc.
Edmond, OK
FYI

The thread pattern for the holes at the ends of the Dana 44 axles shafts are 7/16-20.

The 4x4 hubs will engage with a washer and a grade 8 bolt along with the big "hub ring" installed.

BDAZSVT

I think I am reading what you say right if not just ignore this.
To get that clip on you need to stick a screwdriver or prybar behind the axle ujoint and push the axle out (the rest of the way) and the clip will go on.it doesnt take any real force it is just easier to move the axle with the prybar.

OP
OP
C

csmith441

Loc.
Edmond, OK
I tried the pry bar with no luck. Apparently with some of the GM disk conversion kits the slot needed to place the snap ring back on the the axle shaft will be back up in the spindle/ hub setup. . I used a bolt and a washer and then used the supplied out ring ( hub ring) that came with the Warn hubs.

The only concern I have is when you turn the manual hub the spring is released and I'm not sure if it is pushes the hub to fully ingage the axle to the hub. I just thought of this while messing with it in the garage. The bolt head may be taking up part of the movement needed to fully engage the hub mechanism.