• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake lines and heat - friend or foe?

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
What's the result of brake lines getting a lot of heat - say being really close to your exhaust manifold (in my case hedders). When you use the stock mounting location of the H-block my lines end up really close to the hedders. Is this an issue?<br><br>

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
If the brake fluid gets hot enough to boil within the lines, it can cause brake fading and problems like that. I use a piece of sheet aluminum between the headder and the brake line to deflect the heat produced by the exhaust system. If you choose this solution, just make sure the shield that you make does not touch either the brake line or the exhaust. Unless your brake line is getting hot enough to burn you when you touch it, I wouldn't worry about it.<br><br>BH

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
flush the system with dot 4 brake fluid and then fill with dot 4. this has a higher boiling point than dot 3. also go with the shield, every bit of insurance is worth it. don't let anyone talk you into dot 5 brake fluid though. this stuff doesn't boil till 600 deg. or so, but it is silicone based, and will destroy any rubber based seals in a stock system.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
[quote author=rflud link=board=5;threadid=12293;start=0#91191 date=1039814775]<br>What's the result of brake lines getting a lot of heat - say being really close to your exhaust manifold (in my case hedders). When you use the stock mounting location of the H-block my lines end up really close to the hedders. Is this an issue?<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>It should be a concern. I had chucks braided line about an inch from my header and it blew a hole in it. I went to stop and the pedal went to the floor and scared the holy $hit out of me. I bought another from him but this time tied it up a little more away from the header and havent had a problem yet (knock on wood)..