• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake lines nickel copper/tools

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
I’ve got several brake line systems to do, and current plan is to use nickel copper lines on frame top side, and need some help.

1. Any advantage in using AN fittings ?
2. Bending tool needed, and if so, recommendations?
3. Hydraulic flaring tool worth costs, and recommendations?
4. Use flexible SS tubing for lift distance to disc brakes ?
5. See any advantage in placing NiCo inside PEX for off-road rig ?
6. Use brake line clips from Bronco vendor or other ?

Thanks

Digger556

I’ve got several brake line systems to do, and current plan is to use nickel copper lines on frame top side, and need some help.

1. Any advantage in using AN fittings ?
2. Bending tool needed, and if so, recommendations?
3. Hydraulic flaring tool worth costs, and recommendations?
4. Use flexible SS tubing for lift distance to disc brakes ?
5. See any advantage in placing NiCo inside PEX for off-road rig ?
6. Use brake line clips from Bronco vendor or other ?

Thanks

1. Yes. Easier assemble/disassemble. Less leaks. Less torque to seal.
2. I would recommend it, but not necessary.
3. Mastercool makes a really nice hydraulic flare kit. $$$, but nice. I just bought the 37° flare kit for it. It will also create trans, PS and fuel flares.
71475_web-400x400.jpg

4. Yes.
5. No. Tube in a tube will promote corrosion
6. Either or.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
3: yes. I hated doing flared fittings with hand tools. Could never get them right. Broke down and got the hydraulic flaring tool. Takes a few minutes to get it set right, but once it is right, couple seconds later and you have a perfect flare that works.

4: measure your own rig. too many variables.

1: I find AN easier to work with. bit of a learning curve, but once there I have had better success with them. They do seal better without having to really crank on them. Not afraid of either way, just whatever works best in that spot. I have not done brake lines with the tool yet, but the bigger hydraulic and fuel lines have been better with AN.

5: I would recommend against it. Any impact hard enough to hurt the hard line won't be slowed down by PEX. Makes the lines bigger and harder to work with. And the potential for corrosion.

SDBMtber

I did the NiCo and started off using a conventional double flaring tool. My skill level has either dropped or the tool wasn’t working as well. Finally gave in and bought this tool.

Titan Tools 51535 Double Flaring... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XPRVCPV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This thing is great! Only does one size of tube - but you can use any size fitting. A good bit cheaper than the kydraulic kits, but worked for me since I only needed it for the one size tube. 100% success on all flares with this one so far!!

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I ran Nicopp fuel lines. I ended up getting the same mastercool flair tool noted above also - makes perfect AN flairs every time. It was pricey but I got it cheaper on ebay and plan to sell it when I'm done. I also tried the cheap Chinese red bending tool, but the bends kept crushing. I ended up getting pricey Ridgid benders. Smeared a little grease on the ends to help the tubing slide easier, and the bends are just beautiful and round. I'll sell them when I'm done too.

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

ransil

Bronco Guru
x10 on the mastercool, I have not screwed up a flare yet with it. I tried the manual ones they just suck.

I have 3 types of bending tools they all seem to work.

Digger556

Should have mentioned, the Mastercool kit will flare SS lines like they are made of butter. Doesn't even break a sweat.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I also use the hydraulic flaring tool to put a bubble on hard line when you need to slide a rubber hose and don't want it to slide off. Fuel lines, transmission cooler, power steering return. Just start a double flare and quit early.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Mastercool is a great tool...works well and is very versatile. That said, I have one of the rotary die style flaring tools as well for bench work that is much faster if you're able to flare the lines on the bench versus on the vehicle. Each has their place and is nice to have if you do a lot of flared lines...brake, fuel, vents, air, etc.