• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake Pedal Assembly wobble - Replace?

texhost1

I have a break pedal assembly off for an automatic that works great, but is has a annoying rattle that is side by side movement when driving a low speeds. I have tried to replace the bushings at the top, but the play in the pedal is still there. I have not replaced the bushings for to the master cylinder. Has anyone ever see one of these just wear out? Should i just replace the entire assembly and call it a day? If so, if the aftermarket assembly sold by by Bronco graveyard good quality? Thanks

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Bushings should take care of it. Where is the play at? You need to find the source of the play then you can determine how to fix it. blindly throwing parts at it isn't a good idea for fixing things. Stick your head under the dash and look for the problem.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Find the rattle. Go to Home Depot or Ace True Value and look at the nylon washer selection. Fix rattle.

J-man

Loc.
Holladay, UT
I had this same issue, I too put new bushing in and BOOM, same damn problem. So the looseness isn't in the bushing it's in where the peddle atattches to the rod. If u pull the whole assembly out and set it up on a bench you'll notice it's where the rod goes through the hole in the peddle rod it looks like it was originally a pressed conection but over time got a side to side slop. I simply put a weld between the rod going through the peddle. Complete problem fixed. No problems since.

OP
OP
T

texhost1

J-man when you said "I simply put a weld between the rod going through the peddle." Where did you place the weld? Did you tack a weld on the upper portion where the approximately 9" runs through the brake pedal mount and the brake pedal? Or are you talking about where the rod connects to the brake pedal and runs to the master cylinder.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
From what I read above, it sounds like it is the pedal arm is loose on the piviot tube (with bushings in it). That would be a remove pedal from truck to weld (so you don't melt the bushings).