• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake pedal for automatic conversion

74bronk

Hi,
I'm converting my 74 bronco to automatic from a 3 speed. I'm looking to put a wide brake pedal in. I found one on eaby out of a 77. will any fit from a 66 to 77 bronco, or is there any other vehicles i can comendere these from any help appreciated!

Tom

ehumaui

How much do you want for the brake and clutch pedal? Where are you located?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The wide brake pedal is a '76/'77 bronco only item. Hard to find.
One cheap trick I have heard about but have not done is to get a wide brake pedal from another vehicle. Cut the shaft going to the pedal and graft (weld) it to the Bronco shaft. Instant wide pedal conversion for cheap.

I have been talking to one of the venders for a while about making a wide pedal for the auto conversions. Last I heard was it is in the planning stages but no date has been set. So don't hold your breath on that one yet.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Just get some thick aluminum sheet, cut it to the size you want and bolt it to the stock pedal.

When I went from 3 speed to auto I swapped everything from the donor.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
74bronk said:
Hi,
I'm converting my 74 bronco to automatic from a 3 speed. I'm looking to put a wide brake pedal in. I found one on eaby out of a 77. will any fit from a 66 to 77 bronco, or is there any other vehicles i can comendere these from any help appreciated!

Tom
Tom

I got mine from a 1973 Mercury wagon. The real wide pedal. I had to grind on the pivot pipe a little to get it to fit the Bronco but it works fine.
Drop me a standard Mail message and I will send you some pics of the install
TOFIC

jeffdukovac

weld some metal across both pedals and have a huge brake pedal.

Works great in off camber situtations.

Jeff

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Did all 76, 77's have the wide brake pedal??

My standard trans 77 has the wider brake pedal, so maybee mine was a automatic from the factory??

OP
OP
74bronk

74bronk

brake pedal

Ill try and pic one up off of ebay

Thanks

66horse

Bronco Guru
Just an FYI, there is no need to replace the pedal. I may do it someday but right now I just have the old pedal and an automatic. Aint no thing.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
My bronco is the same as 66horse with the skinny brake pedal and auto tranny. I've been running my '72 with an automatic tranny for six years and continue to use the stock manual style brake pedal. It seems to work just fine. I suppose I could swap it out someday but it has always been really low on the priority list. One day I happened to be looking at my wife's car and noticed that the brake pedal on her 2002 minivan was just as skinny as my manual brake pedal in my eb. Then I didn't feel so bad about it.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
72bronco said:
My bronco is the same as 66horse with the skinny brake pedal and auto tranny. I've been running my '72 with an automatic tranny for six years and continue to use the stock manual style brake pedal. It seems to work just fine. I suppose I could swap it out someday but it has always been really low on the priority list. One day I happened to be looking at my wife's car and noticed that the brake pedal on her 2002 minivan was just as skinny as my manual brake pedal in my eb. Then I didn't feel so bad about it.
Would you call this "pedal envy"? :-[

72bronco

Bronco Guru
Broncobowsher said:
Then again, it is a mini van :p

I guess its one of those instances where size doesn't matter... unless you're talking about tires, engine displacement, and maybe a few other things.