• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake Pedal sticking after install of brakes

77BroncoSport

Loc.
Sandy, UT
Just had brakes pads and rotors installed (well almost completed) and the brake pedal is sticking and has to be manually lifted for the brakes to go back to normal. Push the pedal, same situation again. I heard of this happening before and havent done a forum search so here it goes the question again. Where is the adjustment need to take place to correct this? Is it in the hydrolic booster? I know its simple but not quite sure how and where the adjustment takes place.

Thanks,

OP
OP
77BroncoSport

77BroncoSport

Loc.
Sandy, UT
From some notes I pulled from my Bronco folder when the power booster was installed, 1. the end of the rod needs to touch the end of the piston in the master cylinder and 2. adjust the clevis on the rod opposite side of the booster 3. Adjust the pedal rod.

What's strange is this was a standard brake install and didnt think this would have any effect on 1,2, and 3. Thats the insight Im looking for.

thanks

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
This will happen if the pedal has a slight drag. You should have a little free play (very free) at the top of the peddle.

OP
OP
77BroncoSport

77BroncoSport

Loc.
Sandy, UT
Yea, I know the free play at the top but Im pretty sure its the pedal rod ajustment and will deal with it tomorrow. My friend Makers Mark and I have better things to accomplish tonight!

POWERBRAKEBOB

Booster

Check Your Linkage First By Pulling The Clevis Pin From The Booster Rod. If The Linkage Moves Freely, Then The Booster Is Bad, And Not Releasing. If There Is Any Bind In The Linkage, Remove The Booster, And Find The Bind, Usually In The Bell Crank. We Have Been Using The Hydroboost System. It Works Much Better, And Releases Better. It Can Even Be Mounted In The Original Manual Master Hole. This Allows It To Come Straight Out, And Eliminates The Bracket And Bell Crank Linkage. It Also Allows Several Different Master Cyl Configuratiions To Supply Any Combo Of Brake Systems. We Have New Units For Conversions

POWERBRAKEBOB

Bind

I Just Re-read That You Have A 77. The 77's Have A Linkage From The Pedal To The Booster, That Has A Ratio Changing Bell Crank. The Reason The Pedal Sticks After Foot Bleeding Is You Pushed The Pivot Pin Past It's Normal Travel. The Rust Built Up On The Pin At The Bottom Of The Linkage Is Not Letting The Pedal Back. 65 Mustangs Were Famous For This.