• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brand new 20yr old bushing disintegrates

joshua

Contributor
As stated on other posts I have a really old duff lift kit new in box. It’s from 2005 to 2008 when purchased new.

I’m just mocking everything up to weld what needs welding and to make sure I have everything before paint. I purchased some sacrificial c bushings from my local store for mock up. They went in just fine.

But when putting in The radius arm donut bushings I ran into an issue. I didn’t want to spend the 60 bucks for sacrificial bushings there so I used the ones that the lift came with.

I used ratchet straps to start them. And they crumble into dust. Very light pressure and the arms were lined up perfectly. I bought the kit in 2009 from a guy and stored it my in my bedroom closet ever since. Which I have ac/heat always going.
Or maybe I did something wrong? I used a liberal amount of super lube on everything.

What I’m asking is would that mean I need to get new c bushings automatically or are they different material? I’m thinking not. But would rather not buy more if it’s not necessary. The ones I bought from the local parts house are just stock and not offset in any way. So i wouldn’t be able to use them with the 3.5in lift.

Attachments

• IMG_4844.jpeg
    IMG_4844.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4845.jpeg
    IMG_4845.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4846.jpeg
    IMG_4846.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4847.jpeg
    IMG_4847.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4848.jpeg
    IMG_4848.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4843.jpeg
    IMG_4843.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 29

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Joshua,

I personally would contact Duff’s. While I doubt that they will replace the kit free of charge because you bought them from someone other than them, they may provide a discount.

Regardless, I would not use any part of that kit, including the C bushings. I can only imagine the end result of their failure on the road.

Roger

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Joshua,

I personally would contact Duff’s. While I doubt that they will replace the kit free of charge because you bought them from someone other than them, they may provide a discount.

Regardless, I would not use any part of that kit, including the C bushings. I can only imagine the end result of their failure on the road.

Roger
Ya that’s what I figured

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
While all the bushings are polyurethane, they most likely were cast/molded at different times and with different batches of poly mixed up.
In addition to that, the radius arm bushings may purposely be a different durometer (relative hardness/density) rating than the C-bushings.
And while most polyurethane bushings are perfectly fine 30 years later, they don’t all last that long. Some shorter than others, as you’re finding. This might be a perfectly acceptable lifespan.
They’re just not guaranteed to last forever.

You can certainly still call them, but 20 years later and secondhand, doesn’t usually give much replacement value or power.
In any market or category.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
While all the bushings are polyurethane, they most likely were cast/molded at different times and with different batches of poly mixed up.
In addition to that, the radius arm bushings may purposely be a different durometer (relative hardness/density) rating than the C-bushings.
And while most polyurethane bushings are perfectly fine 30 years later, they don’t all last that long. Some shorter than others, as you’re finding. This might be a perfectly acceptable lifespan.
They’re just not guaranteed to last forever.

You can certainly still call them, but 20 years later and secondhand, doesn’t usually give much replacement value or power.
In any market or category.
Ya I’m not gonna even try. Old bushings say 6 1/4 degrees. So I need 7 degree bushings? I don’t see 6 1/4 for sale anywhere. 3.5 lift

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, that was a Duff thing. They have had 6 1/4 for a long time. Don’t know if they still do it, and haven’t checked. But it was definitely their normal high offset bushing.
Maybe they felt that was the maximum safe correction for minimal u-joint bind. Maybe they just wanted to be different.