• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Breather hose in front differential?

ProjectBronco70

Loc.
Tennessee
I've had my Bronco for about a year and am currently putting in a 3.5 inch lift. I just noticed that the front breather hose is not attached. It looks like it has not been attached for a while. What does it do and how important is it? I've only had it in 4 wheel drive for about 10 minutes since I've owned it. Also, since I am a newbie what is the proper sequence to put it in 4 wheel drive. I.E. lock the hubs, put the transfer case in 4 wheel hi, low etc. drive in reverse for a 10 feet or so? I guess I have never understood the proper way to put it in 4 wheel drive. Thanks for all your help.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
you will need your breather hose hooked up, if you cross any water it will let in your differential and oil and water don't mix ;) even might get some in there just from wet roads and puddles.
As far as putting it in 4x4 put it in nuetral, lock hubs, put shifter in correct gear 4 low or 4 high, put in gear take off. when unlocking you just do it the opposite and no you don't have to back up. Sometimes you will have to rock it a little back and forth to get the shifter back in 2 hi.
Hope that helps some
Skiddy

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
since we dont know what exactly is in your front diff (oil and water possibly) I recommend doing a fluid change and installing the breather upto your firewall to be safe. I know it is a PITA but gears/lockers are more expensive and more of a PITA to replace.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The reason for Reverse to come into the picture is if your hubs are old and sticky. Reverse will help crappy hubs dis-engage. If you do not know how yours are doing, next time you dis-engage the hubs and the t-case have someone watch the axle shaft to see if they turn or use something like a pry bar to see if it went free.

Jeff in AZ

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
On some of the automatic locking hubs you had to put it into 2 wheel drive then back up for the front hubs to disengage.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I always just lock the hubs and then shift to 4WD when I anticipate needing it. I don't shift the transfer case to nuetral unless I am checking something out. (Don't want it to roll over my feet while I'm turning the hubs in)

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
Get yourself one of these from BC - nice place to hook all of your breather tubes

assembled%20breather%20copy.gif

I have one and it was a piece of cake to setup for both axles, Tcase and tranny. If the Bronco would float then I could go into any water without worry ;D

6thBronco

Loc.
BC Canada
The K&Ns a really nice piece but us cheap guys just use a steel inline fuel filter. Cheap, strong and pretty darn effective at keeping out the nast-Es.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
My '89 has manual hubs. If the hubs are locked in and you engage 4wd, (whether forward or reverse) once you take it out you have to move in the opposite direction to get it fully disengaged. Obviously it doesnt work like the D20 :) You may have gotten that from a full size owner. The automatic hubs also function like that.

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
I always back mine up a few feet when i want to shift of 4wd, it always shifts easier, especially in my dads 3/4 ton Chevy with the 205 T case

sbingham2

Loc.
Cedar Park, TX
Just a quick note about the breather hosess. When I first bought my Bronco the left rear axle seal was blown. I also noticed that the rear breather hose was missing. When I went to replace the reather hose, I also pulled the fitting that screws into the axle housing and found that it was clogged. I'm guessing that the pressure inside the housing due to the blocked breather is part of the cause for the blown axle seal.

To make a long story short, if your hose is missing, not attached, or broken, take the extra time to ensure that the fitting isn't clogged.