• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broke 4 oil pan bolts

vedderman

Loc.
south east tennessee
and I don't wanna break any more. Over the past month I sprayed penetrating oil on the heads. The four I broke were for the timing chain cover, but i was able to get it off. Would somehow applying heat help?

DJs74

Bronco Guru
I agree with Viperwolf... a new cover is probably your best bet and make sure you get a timing cover without the dipstick tube (if your dipstick is in the pan). You can still use a car type cover but you would need to seal up the dipstick tube hole so you don't have oil coming out of the pan. Car timing covers have the dipstick in the timing cover... Broncos have the dipstick tube in the oil pan. I did exactly what I warning you about because I wasn't paying attention, I tapped the hole, applied RTV and threaded a 3/8" bolt into the hole

DJs74

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Heat each bolt up and let them cool a few times to see if they break the grip?

The timing cover has bolts into the water jacket but the pan does not so they should be easier to get out.

65 mustang

the timing cover was aluminum, the block Is steel. im thinking you will have better luck with the rest. I would use a little heat just to make sure.

camp9k

I found using a cordless impact gun on the low setting after some heat works for me on old bolts..,I start on the low setting and move up if needed.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Heat is your friend. Just don't burn up the Bronco and burn down your garage. Have a fire extinguisher on hand. As others said, I would be surprised if the bolts in the pan get wrung off. They really should not be very tight.

I anti-seize everything when I put stuff back, but my other hobby is restoring old 40's Caterpillars and you want to learn how to get out seized bolts, work on one of those. I had to Heli-coil 40 threaded holes that held in the radiator core once. The threads had rusted too much and I had to tap with heli-coil tap and add the inserts. And so many bolts end up being seize and you learn all types of methods for extraction.

Bolts that break but still have some protruding out you can sometimes weld a nut onto the stud and then get it out. Or just heat and I have a small pipe wrench that will work good. Heat is usually the key element. Bolts that break flush, well then you are usually drilling to almost the same size as the bolt, then tapping the hole, which usually gets the remainder of the bolt from the hole. If you drill carefully you can almost just leave the threads of the bolt that the tap will dig out. I rarely have success with an EZ out.