• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broke an oil pan bolt off in the block. Problem?

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
If I leave it alone, will I regret this later? It's the third bolt from the rear on the passenger side, right below the dipstick tube.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
what i'd do if you can't get it out is get some of those valve cover spreaders and put them on the bolts forward and back from that hole. it'll spread the load a bit.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I have a screw extractor, but because it's alongside the pan, I can't get to it with a drill to try to pull it out. It will come out if I have pan off. I just don't want to have pull all that crap back off.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Take a little pick and try and work it out. I have been amazed how many time I have had a broken bolt and found I can just play with it and the broken threads just unscrew.

second choice, ignore it. There are lots of bolts down there. Good chance it will hold and not leak.

Was this done as on on car repair, something you just found, engine currently on the engine stand? Did you break it trying to put it on or take it off (or something else)?
If you drop the pan is there enough bolt sticking out of the block to vice grip it out or is it flush with the block?

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
i replaced my pan gasket today. i have a 3.5" lift and it was not too bad of a job.

i would get a reverse drill bit and try that 1st. center punch the broke bolt and start drilling.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Was this done as on on car repair, something you just found, engine currently on the engine stand? Did you break it trying to put it on or take it off (or something else)?
If you drop the pan is there enough bolt sticking out of the block to vice grip it out or is it flush with the block?[/QUOTE]

In the car. I'm replacing the clutch and everything that goes with it. We replaced the rear main seal and were putting the pan back on when I noticed one of the bolts was an oddball. Same size, but a smaller washer and shorter. I made the mistake of using it anyway, as it came off the pan to begin with. Wasn't even on tight and the head came off. I could pull the pan and possibly have enough to grab with vice grips. I bought a valve cover spreaders someone mentioned and will give them a shot tomorrow night.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
IF it wasn't tight when the head broke off then there is a good chance the threads are not tight in the block. Before you go drilling/EZ out/ other things...

Take a pick and work at it. If you can twitch the threads at all you can usually just work it out. No pan removal, no drilling, no special tools at all. If that doesn't work then you will need to use the tools mentioned above. But don't start with them, start with a simple pick or sharp scribe. Once you start pushing tools into the bolt it tends to jam and thus you will need tools to get it out.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
IF it wasn't tight when the head broke off then there is a good chance the threads are not tight in the block. Before you go drilling/EZ out/ other things...

Take a pick and work at it. If you can twitch the threads at all you can usually just work it out. No pan removal, no drilling, no special tools at all. If that doesn't work then you will need to use the tools mentioned above. But don't start with them, start with a simple pick or sharp scribe. Once you start pushing tools into the bolt it tends to jam and thus you will need tools to get it out.

Another good option along the same line is to use a bent nose tweezer. Place the tips of the tweezer, spread a little, so that you can tweek both sides of the broken bolt at the same time as oppose to just working one side trying to spin it out. Kinda helps to eliminate binding a little. Kinda like a spanner wrench, sorta.