• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken bolt in pressure plate/***Fixed***

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
When it rains it pours. Just installed the flywheel and noticed (Wish I had seen it sooner) a pressure plate bolt was broken off in it. That's why it appeared to be missing a bolt when we took it apart. I don't think I can drill it out from where it's at. I'm debating just using it anyway. Anyone see real issues with it? The pressure plate will just be missing one of the bolts.

Last edited:

65 mustang

Yes,fix it befor the pressure plate comes through your floor. Drill it out and retap it.. You'll be good to go. Scott

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
A missing bolt would throw the balance off and put more stress on the other bolts. I agree it's just not safe to leave it that way.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
It's not that much labor ..if your into it just time....Fix that one correct ..That's not one I'd skimp on....I'm a cowboy but some things just have to be redone..Fix it like your Daddy taught you.....

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
It's not that much labor ..if your into it just time....Fix that one correct ..That's not one I'd skimp on....I'm a cowboy but some things just have to be redone ...Fix it like your Daddy taught you.....

I agree with all these guys. If you cant find the time to do it right, how will you find time to do it over again when it fails. A missing bolt will also bend the frame of the clutch cover and cause uneven clamp load, which could lead to chatter.

70_Steve

Old Guy
If you cant find the time to do it right, how will you find time to do it over again when it fails.
Wow, one of my favorite sayings.

Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Saw that on a maintenance supervisors door 35 years ago. Never forgot it.

67ster

Bronco Guru
One other thing --those bolts are special with a shoulder that fits tight into the cover and flywheel to keep the cover in proper alignment. The flywheel is counterbored about 3/16"-1/4"to take the shoulder. Yeah ,I know lots of guys just stick grade 8 capscrews in and call it good but is it ?

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
One other thing --those bolts are special with a shoulder that fits tight into the cover and flywheel to keep the cover in proper alignment. The flywheel is counterbored about 3/16"-1/4"to take the shoulder. Yeah ,I know lots of guys just stick grade 8 capscrews in and call it good but is it ?

Okay, now you really threw a monkey wrench in my works. I went and bought all new 5/16-18 Grade 8 bolts and washers today, as I couldn't find the anything exactly like the stock.

67ster

Bronco Guru
Sorry I ruined your day but I meant to get that post up sooner. Back in the early 60's a buddy of mine damn near lost his foot and a child spectator was hurt when a badly assembled clutch came clear out of a Hemi powered C/A roadster on the big end . Not that an EB would see the RPM's or stress that altered did then --but.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I used the grade 8, but will search today for the bolts you mentioned. Hopefully I can find them today, as it will put me a day behind if I can't. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Finally found some Mr. Gasket Pressure Plate Bolts. Parts #911 Thanks for the advice. I don't want to have to redo anything for a long time.