• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken seat frame mount bolt in body

Mmcguir3

Loc.
Baltimore
Hey guys,

I recently bought a 75 and I am in the process of reupholstering the seats. When taking the driver seat out it appeared that the front right bolt was missing however it was broken off. I've tried a bolt extractor but it only looks like its gotten worse. This is the bolt that looks to go into the cross member below the floor. Any tips or fixes would be greatly appreciated. Pretty new to this whole thing…

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Bferrari

Set a nut on top of what is remaining of the bolt and weld the two together through the center of the nut. This does two things. One, gives you something to wrench on to extract it and two, heat cycles the broken bolt which a lot of times helps free it up.

OP
OP
M

Mmcguir3

Loc.
Baltimore
Appreciate the input. In peaking through the floor pan down to the crossrail it looks like the bracket that the weld nut is underneath is cracked toward the front of the rail (possibly from me beating on it…). Major issue?
Should I cut a small section of the floor pan out around that area to repair that bracket that holds the weld nut. I don't have much experience with a welder but wouldn't be opposed to giving it a try. Another option I was wondering about was a rivnut? Any thoughts? If thats an extremely dumb idea let me know.

Thanks

RustBeltRefugee

Loc.
Santa Clarita
I don't think a rivnut is a bad idea. As long as the combination of the floor pan and nut plate are thin enough for the rivnut to grip on to. I think the original thread is 5/16-18 but someone will hopefully correct me if I am wrong.

Don't know if this helps but here is a build thread I came across that some good pictures of the floor support.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236070

My floor is like Swiss cheese and it is hard to even tell where the original holes were. I installed weld nuts in a non-stock location since I am installing pro car seats with home made brackets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 62

Bferrari

Here is a pic showing the floor braces and the seat mounts. I would try to salvage what yo have but if you don't have any luck then a rivnut will work.
image.jpg