• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco as a daily driver? safety ratings?

OP
OP
G

I appreciate all of your help! My dad says he'll test drive some and see how he likes them! I'm 17, but I keep my head when driving. So it seems the bronco fairs pretty good safety wise as long as:<br>1. roll cage installed<br>2. high back seats with headrests.<br>3.3 point safety belts (what about 5?)<br>4. good brakes installed<br>5. driving safely<br>What are some of the average car maintainence we'll be having to do? thanks again for all the help. I live in Birmingham, AL btw, so we got some pretty good places to go offroading. Hope this all works out!

sheneeda

Loc.
Surrey   B.C.
[quote author=75 link=board=5;threadid=12549;start=0#93780 date=1040667481]<br>the bronc is not a safe vehicle!!! i ditto nuke but you must also consider getting hit from behind. if you have the low back seat youll have broken vertebrae and if you get real hard from behind your head will be laying in the back seat. i know an emt who seen that one before. there is a reason all cars now have a "head rest".<br>[/quote]I was rear ended by a minivan last year on a friday just before we were going to Duffs. When I looked in the mirror I thought the weekend is over. The front of that van was a mess. My spare tire absorbed a lot of the inpact and the only damage to the Bronco was a slight dent in the tailgate at the tirerack latch. I have highback seats out of a Mustang GT and three point belts. I'm sure that helped a lot as I was only shaken up. The ambulance attendant said I was going to feel sore the next day but I was'nt. My Bronco is my only driver , and thats the way it's gonna stay. Set it up with good belts , seats, cage, brakes, and steering and you'll be a happy man. Good luck. :) :)

cadun

Loc.
Santa Barbara &amp San Francisco, Ca
[quote author=joe17 <br>What are some of the average car maintainence we'll be having to do? thanks again for all the help. I live in Birmingham, AL btw, so we got some pretty good places to go offroading. Hope this all works out!<br>
<br>It's a 30 yr old truck, so pretty much everything needs to be watched. Most have new or rebuild engines by this point, but brakes, lines, fluids all need to be carefully watched. Rust is a big issue too, old broncos who haven't gotten much attention will have rust in the door posts, floor boards, and wheel wells. Check everything over real well before you buy, but keep in mind that what you're looking at is almost twice your age, so it won't be perfect. As long as you keep an eye on the moving parts (especially while 4-wheeling) you'll be cruisin' without a problem. ;D :eek: -<br>CD

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
It takes a little time, but I check under hood fluids and do a visual under body check (for drips/leaks/hanging stuff) every time I drive my EB (daily driver). It takes a little time, but is required for an older vehicle and to give peace of mind that you will find problems before they leave you stranded. Additionally, on a weekly basis (weekend) I will crawl under and check on things (driveshafts, steering linkage, chassis fluid levels) to stay on top of everything. Now, if I had the money and time to do a complete restoration- rebuilding every component- this would be overkill. As it is, I can monitor little things (slop in a front driveshaft, tie rod end wear, seeping output shaft seal) and have an accurate idea of the truck's condition. I obviously do a good pre-op check of everything before and after an off road trip. This all takes time, but it is worth it and gives me confidence in the condition of the vehicle at any given time. I enjoy improving the truck, turning heads, having no payments on a vehicle that is appreciating vice depreciating, and being able to drive over a hondota without dropping RPM. However if you expect get-in-and-go reliability with minimal maintenance time, buy a brand new Bronco (whoops they stopped building them a few years ago) or whatever....

72BlueBronco

I drive mine everyday :) except when I'm working on the 30 year old $*#& electrical system :(

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
[quote author=joe17 link=board=5;threadid=12549;start=15#93874 date=1040689066]<br>I live in Birmingham, AL btw, so we got some pretty good places to go offroading. Hope this all works out!<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey man I live in Pell City. So I am not too far away. I got my Bronco when I turned 16 and it was my daily driver until this past May. I am almost 19 now. I think they are pretty safe vehicles(with the above safety features) if you treat them with respect(don't drive like an idiot ::)). And its always good to see another Bronco owner from Bama on here.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
As long as your head isn't lodged deeply in your ass, you won't hit anything. My personal advice is know your physics. Remember to keep small cars with good brakes BEHIND you. It's not a racecar so even if you have Power 4-wheel vented disc brakes, that Civic that you took out of the last light, will outstop you into the next light. Overall they are safe as long as you don't hit anyone!