• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Badge & door lock knobs

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
Help & suggestions needed.

Are there any tricks to installing the Bronco Script badge on the passenger side fender. I can't seem to get my hand between the fender and the air box on that side of the vehicle.

Regarding the door lock knobs, I purchased Tom's aluminum knobs. They noted the following on their website: "The shank of these door lock knobs are slightly smaller in diameter than other aftermarket knobs out there, allowing them to fit perfectly inside some of today's aftermarket door shells that have a smaller-than-stock opening."

The problem is that the smaller shank has now created a rattle, aluminum on metal door. Any suggestions other than swapping them out?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
It sounds like Tom’s is trying to get you to order some new door shells!
You might try some clear heat shrink tubing on them.

Torkman66

Contributor
You need the door lock caps. Amazon has them and likely your local auto store

AF08710A-1759-44C4-8DC9-39670DAAFF95.png

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All of the above. I used electrical tape as a test the first time I did it in the '70's. Then used the inserts, but they rarely fit well and usually broke after a few while's of sitting in the sun.
The shrink tubing worked as well, and lasted longer than most of the other "fixes" did.
I never tried the super thick heavy wall shrink tubing though, which if it fits (and on your smaller ones it might) would quiet things down even better I would imagine.

Paul