• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Bed Stretch

Aggie007

I have come to realize I need to stretch my Bronco 10in in the rear in order to have a good driveshaft length and angle with my drivetrain for my project. I plant to cut and strech just behind the rear door post. I found two theads on where others have done this. You can look at my build to see why. Most of what I have found researching is that the '64-66 Ford truck beds have the same body contours as the Broncos. All I need is the section of quarter panel in the front of the wheel well. No one remakes new quarter panels so I have to look used and can't find anything in my area (South Texas) without buying a whole truck. If you know anyone that has the quarter panels or a whole bed they would like to part with please let me know. Or if you have any ideas, I was also thinking about buying a door skin and using that.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Are you stretching the frame or just moving the axle back?? There's a flat area in the frame under the seat that's a good place for stretching. I cut my body 4" behind the door post. Cut the floor with a "tongue" in floor pan, so all the body mounts would fit. I used a top rear quarter panel and cut 2 - 10" pieces. The bottom piece was cut from an old door. You have to make it fit at the body line.

Attachments

• DSCN1291.JPG
    DSCN1291.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN1401.JPG
    DSCN1401.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCN1417.JPG
    DSCN1417.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 182
OP
OP
A

Aggie007

Thanks for the pics, I saw those pics from an older thread. I built a tube chassis, so I don't have to cut the frame but I do have to cut the cage I built :(

New door skins are fairly cheap, and I plan to run the rocker sliders similar to what you built so the skin panels should be long enought for what I want too.

Can you explain having to make it fit at the body line and do you have any more pics of the floor and how you patched it back up.

I pretty much want to copy what you did.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I stretched mine 10 inches without stretching the bed. I stretched the frame 8 1/2" and added Zero Rates for the extra 1 1/2". The rear quarters remained stock length. Just saying it can be done without new body panels.

That said, Ben did a great job on Stretch! ;D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 192

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Are you stretching the frame or just moving the axle back?? There's a flat area in the frame under the seat that's a good place for stretching. I cut my body 4" behind the door post. Cut the floor with a "tongue" in floor pan, so all the body mounts would fit. I used a top rear quarter panel and cut 2 - 10" pieces. The bottom piece was cut from an old door. You have to make it fit at the body line.

SO Ben did you stretch the frame as well or just the tub. To lazy to go back and look at the build thread...;D

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
New door skins are fairly cheap, and I plan to run the rocker sliders similar to what you built so the skin panels should be long enought for what I want too.

Can you explain having to make it fit at the body line and do you have any more pics of the floor and how you patched it back up.

The body line on the ft. fender, door and rear quarter are all different. The piece for the stretch needs to turn in at the top to butt against the top quarter piece. The rear quarter is 3 pieces put together, the outer panel, inner fender and top quarter. Look at the cutaway in pic 2. You can see how the panel rolls and then does a 90* back to the inside. If you use a door skin it needs a 90* bend at the top and a gentle roll below that, go look at a door and quarter real close, you'll see.

I cut my floor to keep the body mounts inline with the old frame mounts, then just filled in the hole with sheet metal. Does your tube frame have the body mounts in place??

Attachments

• DSCN1403.JPG
    DSCN1403.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 108
  • FSCN1274.JPG
    FSCN1274.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
A

Aggie007

I stretched mine 10 inches without stretching the bed. I stretched the frame 8 1/2" and added Zero Rates for the extra 1 1/2". The rear quarters remained stock length. Just saying it can be done without new body panels.

That said, Ben did a great job on Stretch! ;D

I plan to do both to assist with drivetrain length and rear driveshaft angle.

The body line on the ft. fender, door and rear quarter are all different. The piece for the stretch needs to turn in at the top to butt against the top quarter piece. The rear quarter is 3 pieces put together, the outer panel, inner fender and top quarter. Look at the cutaway in pic 2. You can see how the panel rolls and then does a 90* back to the inside. If you use a door skin it needs a 90* bend at the top and a gentle roll below that, go look at a door and quarter real close, you'll see.

I cut my floor to keep the body mounts inline with the old frame mounts, then just filled in the hole with sheet metal. Does your tube frame have the body mounts in place??

Thanks for explanation. I did build body mounts but I can rebuild or move what I have if needed.