• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco butt sag after a week

Labbster

we have a 3.5 suspension lift and also a 3 inch body lift. I am a fan of the Bronco nose down. Anyway, I was going to get a 4.5 in the rear in the back and a 3.5 in front, but was talked into the 3.5 on both ends because at the time they were being redesigned to not sag in the back so much. Also, I have a fiberglass tub which I thought weighed less. Anyway, we have been driving the beast for a few weeks seems everything has settled a bit, put on a huge bumper and a huge spare tire.

My question is how would you resolve it? Purchase a 4.5 rear and sell the 3.5, add a leaf or I see the angled shims....I don't know how much the add a leaf or angles shims will raise it?

mac77

Loc.
Vicksburg
If I were to do an additional lift for rear I would go with the blocks. Add a leafs stiffen the ride to much for my liking.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Aftermarket leaf springs in Broncos do sag, its just the way it is. Some of it is caused by axle wrap deforming the springs over and over again but not usually in the short timespan that you describe.
My first springs sagged a ton and started deforming. My second set (the current design WH leafs) have sagged but only a little. I run 5.5" leaf springs and had 5.5" coils up front, but for a variety of reasons went down to 4.5" coils up front. My Bronco has a very slight front rake now but looks basically level. The big difference is when I load it up with a week's worth of gear, it truly does sit level instead of excessively squatting in the rear.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Sorry I say get the 4.5's you wanted to start with. I'm afraid just adding an extra spring to your 3.5's will only make them stiffer .
... But if you do decide to sell the 3.5's ... Let me know. I need a little power in my rear of my Bronco.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Same problem here. I welded a set of 1" lift blocks to my 6-degree shims to make up for rear sag.

buck68

I say order the 4.5 inch springs. I went through the exact same issue. Best way to solve it .

broncodan1

Hey,
I have 4.5" WH springs and they are sagging, especially when I'm
fully loaded. Spring are 15 years old and the most flexy (is that a word?)
I've ever seen...Anyway I just added a set of BC spring rockers to give me
about 2" more lift. I'm hoping that will get me back to a spot where I'll be happy when fully loaded...
Dan

OP
OP
Labbster

Labbster

went to order 4.5 from Wildhorses and they are on backorder with not ETA. Can anyone recommend 1 inch blocks until they come in? I don't want the composite stuff. I had those on before and when I took those off at the beginning of this build, they were broke...

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
went to order 4.5 from Wildhorses and they are on backorder with not ETA. Can anyone recommend 1 inch blocks until they come in? I don't want the composite stuff. I had those on before and when I took those off at the beginning of this build, they were broke...

And I knew that I was looking for one more inch on the back of my build, since mine will be uncut. My rig came with the old school 4" cast blocks on the back. I cut 1" blocks out of the 4" ones and installed those....

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I went to my local steel supplier and had them cut me two pieces of 1" thick bar stock that was 2.5" wide to match the spring perches. They're a little heavy but solid (mild) steel as opposed to hollow blocks. I think they charged me $15 bucks each.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would just add a set of zero rate blocks, bolted to the spring pack. Pretty cheap and easy to make, or maybe someone makes them for the 2.25" wide springs. Off-Road Design has them for the 2.5" and 3" springs, but they also are intended to relocate the springs forward or rearward depending on how you install them.

Or like Viper said, add a winch to the front, and maybe dual batteries if you need a little more.