• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco clunk update

cakedude

Loc.
Friendswood/houston,
CALLING ALL "CLUNK" EXPERTS

I am not sure if my cut and paste works or not but this is an update on a thread I started a while back.

I had the dreaded bronco "clunk". I replaced tranny mounts, motor mounts, rebuilt the drive shafts, checked for slop in the rear end and transfer case and every thing else that was suggested and still had the clunk. Well, I gave up on it and was just going to live with it. I decided to put some 6 degree shims in to straighten the drive line. When I removed the axle from the Cage springs I previously put in I noticed the center bolts in the sping packs were 3/8 and the holes in the spring perch were 7/16. Why cage sells bronco specific springs with the wrong size bolts is beyond me but I digress. So I removed the springs from the spring hangers so I could drill out the springs for the correct 7/16 bolts. BTW, those springs don't like drill bits at all. Hard hard stuff. Had to use a mill bit at very low speed with lots of oil and a lot of time but I got it done. When I removed the springs I noticed that the bolts holes on the passenger side front spring hangers were wallowed out bad. How I missed this when I put them in the first time is beyond me. I must have been in a hurry and just plain missed it. I had to do some welding to get the holes back to the correct diameter to make it right. Tacked some 5/8 washers on the outside of both sides of the hanger and back filled the weld down to a wet 5/8 wood dowel I put through the holes. Grinded everything smooth shot it with paint and put everything back together and it drove like a champ with NO MORE CLUNK;D Not only did it get rid of the clunking but it also took care of the BRONCO LEAN I have been trying to get rid of since I bought it. Killed to birds with one stone. The bronco gods were with me. It is a great feeling driving down the road nice and level with no more clunk!:D I thought I would post my exprerince with the hope it may help someone down the line.

Thanks,
Grant AKA "Cakedude";)

zombie66

Loc.
Beaverton, oregon
i just found this thread and im curious if i have the same issue. i have the cage springs as well but mine have been on for about a year. but maybe they have loosened up enough to make this happen. i will have to check the bolt sizes. and also i noticed that one of the discs that are between the springs is coming out. is that a common problem?

OP
OP
C

cakedude

Loc.
Friendswood/houston,
You may be able to check the leaf spring center bolt size by feeling with your finger from under the spring perch. You can probably check the spring hanger holes by taking off the nut and inspecting visually. I don't think the little pads are that important but you could take the spring pack apart and epoxy that thing back on pretty easy I would think. I can PM you my phone number if you want to talk.

Good Luck,
Grant

OP
OP
C

cakedude

Loc.
Friendswood/houston,
Yeah, I have no idea how I possibly could have overlooked that when I installed the springs the first time. But that is what happens you have a buddy over helping that shows up with a case of Miller Lite on ice:cool: