• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Dash Build

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
I am replacing the existing dash on my 1974 Bronco. The Current dash has auto meter Phantom gauges and is not necessarily a bad looking dash, however i think we can improve on it.

As with the Current Dash, we will not have any switches on the front. All switches will be just under the dash.

Below is an image of the current dash.

Attachments

• IMG_3780.jpg
    IMG_3780.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 458
OP
OP
G

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
New Dash

Thanks to the Guys at BC broncos, we started with a blank slate. The dash was painted the same color as the truck. See image below.

Attachments

• IMG_3779.jpg
    IMG_3779.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 209
OP
OP
G

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
Column Bezel

Picked up a Column Bezel from Toms Bronco Parts.

Attachments

• IMG_3781.jpg
    IMG_3781.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 173
OP
OP
G

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
Fabricating aluminium Bezel for new Gauges

Framing the gauges on the dash is important. If i just put the gauges into the dash without any type of large bezel or frame, the result is a lot of dead/negative space. I picked up an satin aluminum kick panel from the Home depot. This panel is used at the bottom of a door in your home. I paid 14 dollars for it. The nice thing about the kick panel is the satin finish, looks really nice. I also picked up some aluminum bar stock, i think its 1/16" by 3/4".

Using my table saw and a chop saw I created a rectangular frame that is designed to receive the new gauges.

See image below.

Attachments

• IMG_3785.jpg
    IMG_3785.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_3786.jpg
    IMG_3786.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_3782.jpg
    IMG_3782.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 238
OP
OP
G

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
Gauge Layout

After toying with a number of different gauge layouts I settled on the following. I am using Moal Coach Builders Gauges "Bomber Gauges". What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_3788.jpg
    IMG_3788.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3787.jpg
    IMG_3787.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 163
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 913
OP
OP
G

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
Speakers added to dash

Since i cannot hear the stereo at all when going down the road I had to add speakers to the dash. Plus they look pretty cool. Now that the dash is laid out, i need to get to work with my rivet gun and my aluminum polish to finish this off. I will post picks of the speaker and gauge install in a few days.

Attachments

• IMG_3783.jpg
    IMG_3783.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_3784.jpg
    IMG_3784.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 250

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I like the BC blanks, that's what I plan on using when I do mine. Interesting idea to put the speakers in the dash. How big are those speakers? The aluminum plate is a little out of the box as well. I think you did a good job in the gauge layout, it looks nice and symmetrical.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I love the bomber gauges, they will look awesome. I would put the speakers somewhere else, I think they clutter up that nice dash to much.

OP
OP
G

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
I hear you about the speakers in the dash looking cluttered. I have been going back and forth on it. It doesn't look as cramped in person. I am toying with painting the grills the same color as the dash it self.

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
You could look at rear mounting the 6.5" speakers and cutting/drilling holes for the grills in the dash. Could be similar to stock dash, stock grill, but in the locations you want the speakers. Could do round or square. Would be more custom which fits with rest of your dash design and would be more subtle in appearance.

basswipe

I used these all weather Polk Audio speakers

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/dxi461p

I mounted them behind the dash on each side, flush against the edge, it's almost a perfect fit. Besides cutting holes for the tweeter and speaker, I drilled no holes so it is super clean looking. I welded 1/4-20 all thread studs to the rear and used a wing nut to tighten the speaker against the back of the dash.

OP
OP
G

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
After finishing the gauge mock up and initial install we decided to nix the speakers from the dash. The cleaner look has prevailed. We just ordered kick panel speaker pods from Bronco hut. Thank you for the input.
yvuqazun.jpg
yratasem.jpg
jy6unasy.jpg
ja9asygu.jpg
a5uzujus.jpg

gregdebkids

Loc.
Visalia, CA
Where did you mount the life support/environmental controls? lights/wipers/ignition? Do you have a pic with the speakers mounted? That is a sweet dash.