• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco designer inducted into Automotive Hall of Fame

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
McKinley Thompson, who is credited with the earliest known sketches (1963) of what became the Bronco, was inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame recently as part of the Class of 2023.

https://www.automotivehalloffame.or...-Inductee-Press-Release-Final-embargoed-1.pdf

Thompson was one of the first African American designers in the U.S. car industry and had a hand in designing a number of important Ford products in the 1960s.

Todd Z.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I'll never forget getting in the driver's seat for the first time to test drive my '69 and thinking, "how cool is that hood and fender design". And then Ford uses that in the G6 model. Two thumbs up all of the way around! :cool:

Last edited:

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I'll never forget getting in the driver's seat for the first time to test drive my '69 and thinking, "how cool is that hood and fender design". And then Ford uses that in the G6 model. Two thumbs up all of the way around! :cool:
Same reaction I had on my first drive in a bronco!

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
McKinley Thompson, who is credited with the earliest known sketches (1963) of what became the Bronco, was inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame recently as part of the Class of 2023.

https://www.automotivehalloffame.or...-Inductee-Press-Release-Final-embargoed-1.pdf

Thompson was one of the first African American designers in the U.S. car industry and had a hand in designing a number of important Ford products in the 1960s.

Todd Z.
Was he part of the Thompson & Collins that worked on the 4 speed top loader design?
Or is this T&C an urban legend?

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Was he part of the Thompson & Collins that worked on the 4 speed top loader design?
Or is this T&C an urban legend?
Different Thompson. This guy was a car designer - working in styling, etc.

Todd Z.