• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco died last night (update)

jimslim

Loc.
Whittier, CA
Thanks Guys for the help

It was the coil, changed it when I got home.She run good now.

Hey guys

last night I stopped at a red light and my bronco started to stumble when the light changed it seemed to clear up. The next light same thing but it stalled, pushed it to the side of the road sat for a few minutes starded it back up and it ran great so I tried to get it home made it about 2 miles and it started to run like crap again this time it let one huge and I meen huge back fire out the eghaust and that was it, now it just turns over. This is where it gets strange to me passanger side bank of cylinders no spark driver side has spark i cant figure this one out its a 74 302 with electric ignition. I changed the cap and rotar and put my spare ignition modual on but thats not it .

t

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
That is a strange one sounds like a flooding carb started your problem a piece of dirt or something may have got caught in the needle set for a couple of minutes causing your stumble then at your next light it was still flooding and way to much gas got into your cylinders causing you big exhaust back fire. As for your no spark on the passenger side are you checking for spark at the plug or the wire? if your checking the pass plugs it may be the plugs that huge back fire may have damaged them.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont know what to tell you about that the pickup in the dist either works or it doesnt but check it out anyways make sure nothing is hitting the pick up. make sure the shaft in the dist is not worn out by trying to move it side to side. also try swapping wires see it you have a bad wire especially if they are stock type wires they can go bad from to much handling the graphite inside gets breaks in it and may be broken to the point the current cannot jump the gap. If that is the case get some quality wires with a spirel core you will never have to worry about that problem again. I really dont know what else it could be

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D With the big back fire I would look at the timming and make sure it didnt jump can happen ford will run up to 3 teeth off good luck.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p