• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco died while driving

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would think that replacing a part like that could conceivably alter timing a bit too. Best to re-check timing if you can get access to a timing light. Even better when a buddy that knows how to use it comes with it!;D
Not that you couldn't figure it out in thirty seconds mind you. Just that it's more fun when someone gets to do the dirty work sometimes!

Oh, and yes, you could have installed the vacuum advance incorrectly somehow. But it's not likely if you can see that it's working. It's obviously a simple mechanism, but when you're new at this stuff it's amazing just how many very tiny things crop up to mess with your head. I would think you could pop the cap off again and put a clean tube on the end of the hose fitting and give a quick suck to see if it moves. If it moves the arm and the arm moves the advance plate, you're good.

Good luck. And good job too getting that thing off and the new one in! You're practically a mechanic now!
Heck, I bet some very good mechanics don't know how to work on a distributor anymore either. Younger ones would not have seen many as they were fading out in the eighties. But if their schools and teachers were teaching a broad subject range, they got some of the education you just got.

Have fun.

Paul

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
Idled it to my neighbors house. He is a mechanic. Told what happened, told what i switched out, he drove it. Came back, said replace your distributor pickup, i got a bad one. Sure as shit, switched itout, runs like a bad ass again!