• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco door stuck shut

BruiserOutdoors

Bronco passenger door is stuck shut. What is the best way to get the door open? Exterior lock is broken/drilled out.

Also, what would cause the door to be stuck shut in the first place? I've seen many broncos this way.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
You'll have to remove the door panel and try to release it from inside the door . If you're lucky the inner rod is still attached to the latch.

romegadave

spray some PB blaster around while you have the panel out--they do like to stick sometimes (I need to do mine again too)

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Are the internals in the door? Are the door gaps good?

When mine was stuck shut it was just that the lock was not fully unlocking. If your door gap is too small put a jack under the pillar, open the door and shim the tub...need more info :cool:

PaveBronco

I had an issue with wear so welded it up, bit tricky but works good.

Attachments

• DoorLatch1.jpg
    DoorLatch1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 208
  • DoorLatch 2.jpg
    DoorLatch 2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 189

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
You'll have to remove the door panel and try to release it from inside the door . If you're lucky the inner rod is still attached to the latch.

x2. Also, if it's not the locking mechanism and the rod doesn't work, there's a small chance your door fitment might be jacked up and your door needs to be re-aligned. Or, your body mounts could be wonky, jamming the door in place. but take your door panel off first and see if you can unlatch it from inside first. Good Luck! - Jim

Bronco4x4

My 77 parts EB had rusty door catches that also would not release. Just get some penetrating oil in a spray can with a straw and spray in between the quarter panel and door at the door latch area. Let it seep in a while. I used Kano Kroil spray. Once open, give them a good spray again. Good luck.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
x2. Also, if it's not the locking mechanism and the rod doesn't work, there's a small chance your door fitment might be jacked up and your door needs to be re-aligned. Or, your body mounts could be wonky, jamming the door in place. but take your door panel off first and see if you can unlatch it from inside first. Good Luck! - Jim

on my old one, the striker post was so worn it had a grove in it from the door hanging on it. because the door hinge post was so rusted out%). always had trouble with it and was taking the door panel off constantly to fiddle, pull, tug on the linkage rods.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Anyone experience an issue where the doors are rusted shut? I think my recent purchase was in a flood. Every rod is rusted.

External door handle is solid and wont move (meaning the plunger is stuck but the rod is rusted in half).

Lock seems to be free but can't tell for sure.

Thoughts?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
When mine stuck I just jumped in the bronco and kicked it open. Then I squirted down the moving parts with wd-40.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Anyone experience an issue where the doors are rusted shut? I think my recent purchase was in a flood. Every rod is rusted.

External door handle is solid and wont move (meaning the plunger is stuck but the rod is rusted in half).

Lock seems to be free but can't tell for sure.

Thoughts?

The worst one ever, it had a junk door and I sawzalled the door post.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Good call. That is an option

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Problem solved. 3 cans of WD-40 over several days. Then things lossened a little. A swift kick like Steve mentioned and boom....

Tpljmpr

Bronco door stuck shut FIX

If you close your door at it won't open because the latch is stuck or the door handle mechanism isn't working you can try some WD-40 and other lubricants like people have suggested. However I would be careful about trying to kick the door open from the inside.

If you take the inside door panel off you can open the latch with your hand. It is a little cramped and you will have to play around but at the bottom of the latch is a mechanism and you can pop open that latch that way. Very easy.