• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Driver Sneak Peek

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
I see my photos posted everywhere in the Bronco world, Wild Horses 4x4 has posted several of mine on Facebook, randomly searching instagram I've found some of mine, Rocky roads website has a couple of mine too. I completely understand how the guy feels about his photo being used without his permission, hope you can get in contact with the photographer to use this photo even though I don't have a subscription to Bronco Driver mag anymore.

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
How would a feller go about copyrighting a pic?

You can get your photos copy righted through a company like Getty Images, this allows people to browse your photos and pay to use them for things like being published in Bronco Driver magazine, the photographer is paid for his photo and the magazine company gets rights to the photo for a small fee. Seems more and more people like to steal peoples photos and just publish them without asking for permission these days.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I see my photos posted everywhere in the Bronco world, Wild Horses 4x4 has posted several of mine on Facebook, randomly searching instagram I've found some of mine, Rocky roads website has a couple of mine too. I completely understand how the guy feels about his photo being used without his permission, hope you can get in contact with the photographer to use this photo even though I don't have a subscription to Bronco Driver mag anymore.

Yeah, but your pics are not copyrighted. Are they?

ILikeBond

How would a feller go about copyrighting a pic?

Copy rights exist de facto - that is, unlike a patent, intellectual works (photos, written pieces, artwork, etc.) are protected by the doctrine of copyright, not by a bureaucratic process or sanction by a governmental agency.

There is, however, a doctrine called "fair use," which is an exception an author's right to exclusion of a creative work. This includes things like commentary, news reporting, teaching and scholarship, and others, and also explains why the news can show clips of an NFL game, and you can invite your buddies over to watch, but you can't open a theater and sell tickets to see a replay of the broadcast.

Someone who makes their living by creating, like a photographer, or someone who has created a work that might have commercial value, like a naked photo of a celebrity, obviously has more interest in enforcing their copyrights than the run-of-the-mill shots posted on Facebook. Given how special this photo is, and that it cannot be replicated today, I can understand why it's creator would want credit and perhaps renumeration for it, particularly when a for-profit magazine is using it to make sales.

As for pictures someone here took posted on WildHorses' facebook page, these may fall under the fair use doctrine, but if they don't, the question becomes whether there is financial incentive to enforce the copyright, not whether it exists - it certainly does. If WH is using the photo without permission to sell product, there might be some small incentive, but I doubt it (since they could presumably take a photo of the product on another right themselves). If it bothers you, though, I would think if you contacted them and requested them to take it own or not use it, they could comply.

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
Yeah, but your pics are not copyrighted. Are they?

Actually most of them are, I generally put a watermark on them or embedded my copyright into EXIF of the image. Rocky Roads has one of my pictures posted of Maui Matt's bronco, I originally had it watermarked but I gave Matt the originals since he liked them so much. A couple of the ones Wild Horses has posted still have my name on the image which is fine. What makes me mad at times is when someone takes my photo and then Photoshop's the image, then re-posts it somewhere on the internet like it's theirs. Click on my garage and view the picture of my Bronco, it's copyrighted with my name on it...

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
If your copyright pictures are being used against your wishes...I would say you have a case against the people who used them.

Bond posted something about "fair doctrine use"...I don't know anything about that.