• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco gas doors.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... What year models did the Doors over the gas caps start on. Some old guy recognized me today. He says your the Guy who has that 68 Camo Bronco in Stephenville. I said Yes & No .. It's Camo but it's a 72 .. He kind of says whatever! .. Then he tells me about his Ginger 68 & I haven't remembered it yet.. But he says he'd like to have a 73 one that has the Gas Doors not the Gas caps showing ..
.... I told him I think the gas doors are a 76 & 77 thing I'm not sure.. But once again he let me know how I didn't know my Broncos.
.. So when did the doors start . & Did all 76's & 77's have 2 tanks.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
It's a '77 only item. It also includes more than just the doors. To retrofit them to another year would require major surgery and a '77 donor.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
There was a local, late build 8/76' for sale a couple months ago that had fuel doors. It was sellers dad's and said nothing had ever been done to it other than replace the passenger door after an accident.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My experience too. And since '76 was another one of those "late" model year changes similar to '72/'73, it's entirely possible some got some '77 only details, or towards the end that some earmarked to be '77's were registered as '76's in some areas.
I know of several Sept. build EB's that are registered as '76's.

There were also some very few '77's with caps, and even some with single doors as opposed to dual doors with one locked closed if the dual tank option was not specified.
Strange things happen on a truck assembly line apparently.

Paul

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
If you had a late '76 / early '77 with a flap n a cap you would have a real oddball!

Broncitis

MEB Founder
77 only.

I have heard that some early production 77's (summer of 76) had caps. Likley to use up remaining parts inventory or because new parts were not yet ready.

Supposidly Federal regulations requires recessed fill caps that year to prevent them from shearing off and spewing fuel in a side swipe collision. I have never confirmed that, but just what I have heard.

That would be the only sensible reason for FoMoCo to make significan tooling changes when they knew 77 was the last year of the EB.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another weird area for the late '76's is the parking brake. There is a third type, that was available ONLY for a short time between the two years. We were tracking it for awhile, but with so few data points it was hard to pin down exactly when it changed.
But the bottom line is, if you have a '76 and are going to re-do the cables, it pays to look first, then compare to what's available. You might just be lucky enough to get to "customize" your own.

The parking brake pedal assembly changed in '76, and that carried over, but the cables varied, as did the use of the little cantilever/lever thingy that pivots off the floor. They dropped it sometime in that range as well.

Paul