• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco glovebox doors a bad idea on ebay

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I just thought I would mention this because there have been a few threads lately about Broncos , changing glovebox doors , serial numbers etc. I was bidding on a glovebox door / title on e-bay and e-bay stopped the auction because it was illegal and against their rules. They sent me a notice saying that they had stopped the auction and that I was not obligated to buy it ( even though I was not the high bidder at that time ). I thought this was strange because there have been a few of those on there lately. Somebody must have complained.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
If I were going to list one on Ebay I would list it as a dashboard glove box door and don't mention the title and VIN plate in the title. I have heard of them ending auctions like this in the past. While it may be illegal, I see no problem in buying one if a guy is building a rig from scratch and needs a title to register it. If I part out a rig, why can't I send the VIN and title to a guy who will use it for many years to come? Some laws are just lame, IMO.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
I think people selling those on ebay are pretty fawkin stupid. That sort of thing should not be openly sold. They are just asking to make registering broncos a shltload harder then some are to get done. If you want to buy that and put it on your truck illegaly thats fine, but do it under the table, not so everyone and there mom can see how easy it is. I am not a big fan of people doing that, thats the reason I bought a 69 was to be exempt from smog crap. Now if my truck gets stolen and they just ditch the glovebox and register it under another box door, im gonna be super fawkin pissed.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
You both make good points there. I'm kinda in one of those funky spots, my 66 doesn't have a vin tag and the only vin I can find is on the frame. I know when I get it licensed, I'm going o have a hassle. A way around it would be one of the glove box doors, but I don't want to lose it being a 66. <br><br>I agree wholeheartedly about having someone steal a bronco and swap glove boxes. It'd piss me off as well.<br><br>snake

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
All of the Bronco's I've bought and put plates on here in Michigan were never even looked at by the DMV. For all the DMV knows I could've put a Glove box door title in a heep and been driving it :eek:<br><br>The more I think about it they've never looked at any of my vehicles.<br><br>

broncomaddness

Loc.
Corpus Christi, Texa
I have the glovebox tag and might be able to get the original title. But if i can't, what would be the best next thing?? I don't mind getting a salvage title, but I know the original would be much better? Does anyone know the laws and regs in Texas. and what it would cost?? Thanks.<br>JD

OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I have seen the gloveboxes go for up to $305 in the past couple of weeks. I was going to list one and saw the one I bid on and I had to place a bid. The guy had it on as a "buy it now" for $120. It said that the buy it now would go away as soon as a bid was placed so I bid the forty dollars to make the buy it now GO AWAY ! It would be hard for me to get bids on mine if people saw that one for $120. I don't think most states check the vin all that well and here in the Northeast any markings on the frame are mostly gone ( rust does some crazy stuff ).

luvmybronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ashland, Oh
[quote author=thesnake link=board=5;threadid=12088;start=0#89386 date=1039311764]<br>You both make good points there. I'm kinda in one of those funky spots, my 66 doesn't have a vin tag and the only vin I can find is on the frame. I know when I get it licensed, I'm going o have a hassle. A way around it would be one of the glove box doors, but I don't want to lose it being a 66. <br><br>I agree wholeheartedly about having someone steal a bronco and swap glove boxes. It'd piss me off as well.<br><br>snake<br>[/quote]<br><br> I'm in the exact situation you are...That 66 I just bought, doesn't have a vin plate...I called them about it, they said they didn't know where they were located at...I told them where they are supposed to be, but its not there...<br> Not only that, but I wrote a check for it on Mon. they said they would hold the check till the following day, after I called to let them know the money was in the bank...I called them at 5:00 p.m. to let them know it was there...They said O.K. I checked on Weds. to see if it cleared, and I got an insifficaint (sp?) fund charge of 28.00 I called them about it, and they said there secratary must have deposited it on Mon. by mistake...I didn't see any sec. there...They said that there bank would just send it back through...I got a call yesterday, about a returned check, but I haven't got through with them yet...<br> Since its against the law to sell a vehichle without a vin plate, unless its salvaged, I think I might have them by the balls...I might expect this from an personal owner, but not from a licenced dealer...<br> What should I do? If I sink some money into this 66, and for some reason, get pulled over, and the police want to see the Vin plate, they can impound it, and I'm screwed....Sorry for the long post, I had to vent a little...<br> I know they are not getting there money, untill they provide me with a vin plate, so i'm leagal...

thesnake

Bronco Guru
what happens here, (Nebraska), if a vehicle is from out of state, the sheriff's office conducts an inspection, which is nothing more than running the vin number. I believe that marti-works and someone else, I think they are in the homepage on this site, will make a vin tag for you, but, you have to supply all the info for it. I believe I'll try to go the route of having the cops use the frame vin number, it's there and it's legal. In your case, I'd ask the local law or better yet the dmv, explain it to them that the panel was replaced that had the vin, and see if they have an acceptable alternative. If that doesn't work, I'd be looking at one of those high priced glove boxes, right, wrong or indifferent. <br><br>Good Luck, and if I can help, email me.<br><br>In regards to the prices of the glove box/vins, I kinda feel stupid for selling my 73 as a parts truck and letting the title go with it.<br><br>snake

Spence

Loc.
Westminster, Co
In Colorado (or at least Adams county), they require out of state vehicles to have a vin inspection b/4 they can be registered and actually come out and look at the vin and compare it to the title.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
Besides the illegal aspect of changing the VIN number, your insurance company can refuse to cover your vehicle if it finds out that the VIN had been altered and you did it. While an insurance company is required to pay a claim for the other vehicles (if you are involved in an accident), any claim you make rgarding the loss of your vehicle is subject to verification of ownership. [glow=red, 2, 300]If [/glow] you claim your Bronco was stolen or totaled and if the insurance company recovers it, and [glow=red, 2, 300]if [/glow] they inspect the vehicle for proper VIN (Their investigators know all these tricks we do - its their job), and [glow=red, 2, 300]if [/glow] they find the VIN altered, you probably [glow=red, 2, 300]will [/glow] be charged with insurance fraud.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
[quote author=broncomaddness link=board=5;threadid=12088;start=0#89469 date=1039330819]<br> I have the glovebox tag and might be able to get the original title. But if i can't, what would be the best next thing?? I don't mind getting a salvage title, but I know the original would be much better? Does anyone know the laws and regs in Texas. and what it would cost?? Thanks.<br>JD <br>[/quote]<br>I too live in Texas, and have had to go through this. First, you have to go to the state DMV, not where you get your tags (that is county). You need to explain to them that kyou have purchased a vehicle and the title was lost before you registered it, and you have no way of contacting the original owner. First they will give you the owner that was last registered to that vin and give you a chance to try to run them down yourself. If that doesn't work, you then fill out a request for lost title, and send that along with(heres the kicker) a surity bond for 2 1/2 times the value of your vehicle to Austin, they then issue a title (takes about a week). The surity bond is to cover the states behind in case they find out that the vehicle was stolen from some other state and they end up having to pay for the vehicle. The last time I did this a surity bond for $6000 cost about $400. So, point being, you can get it legally, but much cheaper to find a donor.

broncomaddness

Loc.
Corpus Christi, Texa
That was a perfect answer to my question. Thanks. It sounds like a PIA and something that I would only go through for a last resort. How long did the whole process take for you. I thought that you would need to show proof of ownership (title) whenever you initally register the vehicle. True or not?

OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
So what happens if DMV contacts the last known registered owner and he tells them his bronco was stolen and he wants it back :eek: ! Do you lose what you have invested and consider it a lesson learned :-[ . IF by chance a Bronco was wrecked ( oh, say twenty years ago ) and a body shop or a dearership changed the frame .... There would be no VIN on the frame. The glovebox is all anyone would have to go by. It's a tough call. Even if your frame and glovebox don't match , who is to say the frame wasn't replaced at one time with a used one out of a junkyard. Bronco frames rust beyond repair you know ! ;)

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
[quote author=broncomaddness link=board=5;threadid=12088;start=0#89569 date=1039374679]<br>That was a perfect answer to my question. Thanks. It sounds like a PIA and something that I would only go through for a last resort. How long did the whole process take for you. I thought that you would need to show proof of ownership (title) whenever you initally register the vehicle. True or not?<br>[/quote]<br>All I had to show was a sellers affidavit(proving that I actually bought the thing). And to clarify, in Texas, the state does not attempt to contact the pervious owner, they leave that up to the person trying to register the vehicle. oh yeah, the whole process took a couple of weeks, and if you do go about it the "legal" way, you can get a surity bond through some insurance companies. I got mine through my Farmers Insurance agent since that is who handles my auto/homeowners insurance.

G

Nice to know I'm not the only one in a pickle. I live in VA & here is my dilema: I currently drive a '71 Bronco (have title, glovebox, and frame), bought a 1973 for parts (have title and orig frame but no glove box VIN), and bought a '77 frame for my restoration but the old owner is still using the title for his restoration rig.<br><br>Since I have my '77 frame blasted, painted and 80% of my restoration on it---I was either going to use my '71 or '73 title but the frame VIN # would not match the title. I was thinking about either cutting out/grinding out the '77 frame VIN and stamping a VIN in the frame while the body was off. If the DMV was to ever question it----I was thinking of telling them I bought the frame from "some guy" and the old VIN was ground out so I stamped my own???? Gee, what to do??<br><br>If this works, I'll have a title ('71 or '73) to sell to some other Brono lovers who have to worry about smog laws. Any thoughts.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I WOULD NEVER grind an old vin off, that just looks too suspicious. <br>take pictures of the work done and that should cover you if questions ever arise.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=iwlbcnu link=board=5;threadid=12088;start=15#89746 date=1039444668]<br>I WOULD NEVER grind an old vin off, that just looks too suspicious. <br>take pictures of the work done and that should cover you if questions ever arise.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I agree. I would never grind it off. I would also NEVER offer that information to ANY government agency even if you did grind it off. That is asking for trouble. There is no legal way that I know of to grind a VIN and restamp it with a different one. If there was, what would be the point of VIN numbers anyway.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Do what the thieves do. Cut the legal VIN and a portion of the surrounding metal out and weld it to the donor frame.