• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Hard Top

cynrays

My hard top is leaking and very rusty over the windshield. How hard is the top to remove and what are the chances of fixing the old one. I need a lot of input.. Thanks in advance

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Cant tell you on fixing But to remove just unbolt and lift off about 3 people can do it no problems good luck. :p :p :p Bill %) :p :cool:

bluebroncodrive

Its easy to remove, but may just be better to replaced the top with another one they can be found just about anywhere and run from $50 to $500. Most people remove them and install a rag top.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
It shouldnt be to hard to fix if its not rusted out to bad. If its rusted to the point where theres holes you could fiber glass it up pretty easy and its cheap also on my top the sealant in the drip rail had dried out and was cracked causing letting water into the seams and causing them to rust and leak I removed all the sealant and all the rust I could get to and put in new sealant and the leaks have stopped.

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
My front water dam was completely rusted off the rest of the hard top. I actually had to cut the water dam off to remove the top. The hole allowed water to get into the cab and destroy the bolts that hold the hard top to the windshield. A good fiberglass person should be able to restore the problem areas.
The hard top is actually pretty easy to remove if your nuts and bolts are in descent shape. There are lots of bolts to remove so if you try to lift the top and it doesn't move easily, then look around and you will probably find something else to remove. I actually removed the hard top by myself. I lifted the hard top off the body just enough to slip 2x4's between the top and the bed rails. Then I attached lifting slings to the 2x4's. The lifting slings were attached to an engine hoist and Voila! the top popped right off. Make sure and strap the top down to the 2x4's securely in case you get it off balance. You don't want to drop it on the ground.