• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco hut exhaust fit 351/4r70w

jcb9089

Attempting to fit Bronco Hut exhaust. I have 351 block, 4R70W trans, Bronco Hut headers.

Just doesn't feel like it's going together right. Does anyone have pics on install with similar setup?

The driver side pipe fits really tight up against oil pan and trans...is this normal? I'm running oil pan for 351 from vendor: https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Oil-Pan-Kit-351W-66-77/productinfo/10115/

When snug, the pipes don't align close. I can make it fit but it's not optimal.

Is this too close to trans and oil pan?

Attachments

• cross over1.jpg
    cross over1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 102
  • cross over 2.jpg
    cross over 2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 94
  • y joint.jpg
    y joint.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 83

SDBMtber

I think the oil pan is your problem. I have the bronco but headers and exhaust and 351W. I believe the exhaust is setup to tuck into the recess in the oil pan at the back near the transmission. Not sure what all had this type of pan, but the 90s trucks did. The oil pan you linked doesn’t have that recess so I don’t think you’re able to fit into that area very well.

I don’t have any pics handy showing this but could take one tonight if it helps.

I wasn’t able to use that type of pan for that exact reason. But, I haven’t had any issues with the dana 44 hitting the pan, with some extended bumpstops.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I think the oil pan is your problem. I have the bronco but headers and exhaust and 351W. I believe the exhaust is setup to tuck into the recess in the oil pan at the back near the transmission. Not sure what all had this type of pan, but the 90s trucks did. The oil pan you linked doesn’t have that recess so I don’t think you’re able to fit into that area very well.

I don’t have any pics handy showing this but could take one tonight if it helps.

I wasn’t able to use that type of pan for that exact reason. But, I haven’t had any issues with the dana 44 hitting the pan, with some extended bumpstops.
The later pan looks like this.
986f01f1224c7b6a2774c03ac36356bb.jpg
8eabd5b23d408dd1d1ea07145ca42e86.jpg

SS396

I had the same issue, also with 351 but I'm not convinced that the 351 created the fitment problem. After messing with it for a week I took it to the exhaust shop and they had no luck either. They had to fab a new Y pipe to make it fit.

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

Thanks all. I took off pan and test fit, might be able to pull it together with new pan but still doesn't feel right.

New pan will be here this weekend...hope pickup tube matches old pan.

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

Update

Update...I spoke with Dana, original Bronco Hut owner.

He explained their system is designed for 302 but to make work on a 351, need to do the following:

1. Weld 1" extension on passenger side pipe that connects to header...where joins y pipe.

2. Extend driver side pipe as far as can and weld, not clamp.

3. Use oil pan with dip, like viper shows in his pics.

4. Weld together except y pipe joints. Can remove entire welded exhaust from rear of bronco.

Hope this helps anyone that runs into the same problem.