• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Hut Exhaust install and review...

bchesley

I just installed their modular exhaust system on my 75 and thought I would do a review/install thread. I purchased the stock manifold kit. I received it earlier in the week in one big box. Packing was good and secure. At first glance it looked a bit intimidating due to the amount of pieces in the box. After I got it out and layed it our per the photo on their site it was easy to figure out. Before I started to install the kit I decided to paint all the pipes with VHT header paint. Not necessary, but I think it looks cleaner.

I had a really crappy dual system that was hitting my long arm mount and it sounded pretty pathetic. Getting the old system out was easy with exception to the valve on the drivers side. Due to the length of the studs going through the valve I had to pull the studs and use shorter bolts. There is not a lot of space to get a set of locking pliers so that was slow.

The install was actually the easiest part of the whole project. I decided to wipe down the inside of the connecting joints with anti-seize in case I need to disassemble it in the future. The only issue I had with the Y pipe is it was really close to the dipstick tube on the tranny pan. I had to bend it over about a half an inch to get clearance. All of the other pieces slipped together with any clearance issues.

Once I got the muffler it took me a little bit to figure out the orientation of the mount that is welded to the muffler case. I actually used a factory hole in the frame to fasten the rubber mount. I just happen to have a 5/16" self tapping bolt that worked perfect. After I got to this point I decided to go ahead and tighten all the other joints to secure any other movement.

From the muffler back there are only two other pieces and they only go one way so that part was easy. I again used a self tapping bolt on the rear rubber mount. I had to drill the hole for this one. Once I had everything buttoned up I fired it up and got it hot. I let it run for about 10 minutes to let the inside coating burn off.

Overall I give the kit a A++. I have installed many exhaust systems and this one was well thought out and the quality is really good. The sound is nice and mellow and not too loud. See the pics of before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_3309.jpg
    IMG_3309.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_3308.jpg
    IMG_3308.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_3307.jpg
    IMG_3307.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_3312.jpg
    IMG_3312.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_3306.jpg
    IMG_3306.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_3305.jpg
    IMG_3305.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_3304.jpg
    IMG_3304.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_3303.jpg
    IMG_3303.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 335
OP
OP
bchesley

bchesley

Here are a couple of additional picture showing the mounting on the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_3320.jpg
    IMG_3320.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_3319.jpg
    IMG_3319.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_3318.jpg
    IMG_3318.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_3315.jpg
    IMG_3315.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_3316.jpg
    IMG_3316.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 237

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Looks nice! How does it sound? Rumble? Any drone? Skimmed over the review ( lazy after a few drinks!), what is the muffler it comes with?

OP
OP
bchesley

bchesley

No welding involved. It slips together nicely and you use the really nice strap style muffler clamps.

I have not put but a couple of miles on it but it sounds deep and mellow with a nice rumble. I am not sure about the drone as I never got over 45mph. I can report back later in the week as I will drive it a few days at all speeds.

The muffler does not have any markings on it, but it looks just a like a Borla flow through.

Brad