• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Hut shorty headers and exhaust

jasonb

Loc.
Howard City, MI
Is anybody out there running the Bronco Hut shorty headers and complete exhaust system on their Bronco? If so how well does it all fit? How does it sound? Is it loud? Is there any drone at certain speeds? I am looking for a somewhat quiet exhaust system. I like a nice mellow tone while driving down the road, but don't want it to be drag racer loud. Thanks.
Jason

investigreg

I just put WH shorties, 2 into 1 magnaflow with a turn down after the muff. It sounds nice and low at idle-1400rpm, not loud but good and low throaty without drone. Freeway I cant hear much over the wind. I sure feel a little more grunt though... Fitment was okay. Passenger side header falange needed triming to fit in the frame rail.

I would imagine that any shorty headers would provide equivalent results as another brand. WH are made by JBA, and they are nice. It would depend on what comes after the headers which would make the most of the sound. I chose magnaflow because I hate the rate maze flowmaster, they droned me out of other builds I have used them on. Although they sound good out of the truck, the drone turns your head into mush.

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Is anybody out there running the Bronco Hut shorty headers and complete exhaust system on their Bronco? If so how well does it all fit? How does it sound? Is it loud? Is there any drone at certain speeds? I am looking for a somewhat quiet exhaust system. I like a nice mellow tone while driving down the road, but don't want it to be drag racer loud. Thanks.
Jason

I have the headers bronco hut that I used on my 302 EFI build. They are labled Sanderson and are ceramic and made specifically for the Bronco. I didn't use an off the shelf exhaust, had one custom made as I wanted something a bit nicer than any out of the box solution so I can't comment on their exhaust solution.

Anyway the headers went on easily for the most part, they look great and I can get to 90% of the header bolts to tighten them with a socket; the rest an end-wrench works. I can get to all the plugs without a problem and they clear great. Iam running the GT40 heads BTW not the GT40p's.

One problem. The driver side was slightly hitting the new stock motor mount, I had to shave maybe 1/8" or more off the end of the mount to get the header to sit flush to the head. Really not a big deal and it may not hit on other builds but for some reason did on mine.

I have a two into one exhaust with a cat and magnaflow muffler, sounds great and no real drone.

IMG_1491.JPG

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Sprdv has a set of their headers on his Bronco. Even though he may not be aware of that!

investigreg

looks like there is a old school 3 bolt flange on the BH headers. One thing on the WH headers- it is a ball and socket style- no gasket at the collector and no leaks.

boonz28

I have the Bronco Hut/ Sanderson headers on my bronco. I'm running an explorer 5.0 with GT40P heads and everything clears great. It's not up and running yet and i haven't hooked up the exaust so i can't comment on the sound or how well they seal.

Attachments

• bronco 99 (3).jpg
    bronco 99 (3).jpg
    111 KB · Views: 372

igottastanger

Look up header buddies on summit racing the greatest idea when it comes to headers with a 3 bolt flange.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Jason

Last time I was at their shop they had just installed their headers and 2 into 1 exhaust system in a Bronco there. They fired it up and it was definitely quiet. I didn't go drive it but even inside the shop, it was very subdued.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Any more updates on this thread? Looks like a nice system, just curious how the headers look and sound etc.

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Any more updates on this thread? Looks like a nice system, just curious how the headers look and sound etc.

The headers are great and high quality, I had to use different gaskets as the ones I had started leaking immediately. I have the GT40 heads, not the P's and have plenty of room for the plugs and to get to the bolts. I have been extremely happy with the fit and finish, just make sure they are very clean before they are fired up as the grease and oil can mess up the finish.

I can't comment on the 2 into 1 exhaust from BroncoHut as I have a custom built 2 into 1 with a cat and one way valve for a smog pump when needed. Sounds great, no drone and great power.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I have the sanderson headers as well. Sanderson make quality products and has great service to back it up.

aqua_wonder

The Sanderson headers fit really well. I didn't have any issues installing the headers with the Edelbrock gaskets. The headers come with hardware. The stock oil dipstick needs to be bent to clear the headers.

I had a few issues with the stainless steel modular exhaust. The one pipe coming off the driver side header was bent incorrectly. I contacted Bronco Hut and they sent out a replacement pipe. Some of the pipe ends and muffler we egged. I had leaks at a few joints. The welded exhaust hangers didn't line up close enough to the frame rail. I had to make my own brackets. The pipe from drivers side header crosses over behind the oil pan about 2-3 inches. I noticed that the oil pan gets a little warm, about 190 degrees. The passenger side pipe from the header is close to the floor pan. The floor board gets about 170 degrees. I ran exhaust wrap around the 2 pipes and the temperatures on the wrap went to 380-400 degrees. I am currently looking into some sort of shields.

I had dual exhaust with glass packs and the sound is night and day. It is quieter with a mellow tone and little drone. I can actually have a conversation. However, I wonder if I should have had the exhaust bent at a local shop for the price. I expect to run into problems, but sometimes I doubt removing the dual exhaust and manifolds.

Last edited:

muskrat

Bronco Guru
I have them

Fitment was great. Headers look great. I'd all the work in the driveway. Really provided a nice increase in power.

It's not crazy loud but loader than stock for sure. It's relative.

Now that the hardtop is on for the winter I'm sure it will be even loader.

You can have them ship with a quieter muffler.

I like it.