• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco/Lighting COMBO????

socalkidd46

Loc.
Los Angeles
My good buddy rebuilds and restores classic cars, he has done almost everything chevy and Ford from novas to mustangs and everything in between. I am looking to restore or buy a 'grab n go' bronco. I have been searching for a bronco but its hard to find something i really want or wont be too much $$$ to make it look the way i want. I have a $20k (give or take) spending limit and asked him to help me out..

He had the idea of integrating a ford lighting frame/engine/trans and dropping a bronco body over it by shorting the wheelbase of the frame rails of the lightning and drop the body of bronco over lightning. He said this would be great since i plan on using it for a daily driver and won't be doing so much trailing since i live in los angeles BUT i still want the rugged BRONC look~!

What do you guys think? Is this do-able with my spending limit? And will i be able to put 33s or 35s on that frame?

Good idea? or horrible idea?????

Michael Homan

Loc.
Dayton,Ohio
First thing that comes to mind is the width difference between the 2 vehicles.

Second is the length.(which was already stated)

Good drivetrain from the Lighting if it is 4WD?

My 2 cents worth

farnorthdan

Loc.
Eagle River, Alaska
Jeez for 20k I would think you could get a real nice rig already done and ready to drive. I see them on CL and Epay all the time that look super nice for that kinda coin.

dan

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Lightnings are awesome, but think about it this way. First you have to find a lightning, then find at least a bronco body. Then all the work to do the conversion.

I bet it would push the cost over 20 grand.

Look up modman here, he does Mod motor conversions on broncos. Those engines are awesome, and are great in bronco.

Though I agree if you have 20 grand you can find a sick bronco allready built for that much cash. Look in the classified here something will come up.

OP
OP
S

socalkidd46

Loc.
Los Angeles
Yeah, i tend to agree with you guys== and have been searching for something that is completely finished but broncs are just so damn personalized (which is why they're great!) that it makes it very hard to find one to my liking.

Here are some answers to your questions:
2 wheel drive: RWD
The width would have to be converted as well=== or have protruding tires possibly covered by flares (though not much of a fan of the giant flares)
Would be a 2000-03 Lighting
Possibly install whatever interior parts of the lighting id want to (seats, consoles, etc)

Seems very time and $$$ consuming to me as well but i am keeping my options open and if my buddy says he'll do the work then why not! hahah Just doubting the possibility of the whole project.

keeping my eye on the classifieds for sure though!! Thanks guys!

mavereq

Bronco Guru
stay away from 99-00 lightnings. you want at least an 01. there was a recall on the intercoolers on the early ones and ford no longer makes the recall kit.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
It would be far simpler to just transplant the lighting engine in to a bronco. For all intensive purposes you could run the lighting tranny as well with no T case. So you will still be somewhat of a street only cruiser