• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Mechanic in/around Atlanta, GA?

PhorD

Loc.
Atlanta
Does anyone have a reliable mechanic near the Midtown/Buckhead area of Atlanta? The closer the better since I will likely be towing the beast. Grr.

Thanks for any help.
Patrick

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
What do you need done? I can think of about five to ten guys around ATL, maybe somebody would be willing to help you out.

CodeeB

Loc.
Atlanta
I'm just above the Airport, and will be glad to help you out . What's wrong with it ?

jbharve3

I just moved to ATL from WI and am looking for someone to take on a new wiriring harness install in '68? Anyone know of someone who could do this in the area? Give me a call or e-mail: james.harvey@kcc.com or 920 268-8584

daveweil1

Loc.
Savannah
What do you need done? I can think of about five to ten guys around ATL, maybe somebody would be willing to help you out.

I'm having problems with my starter/relay/ignition. Do you know anyone in the area that won't rape me? Or at least kiss me first?

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
I would help in Athens, but hang around. I am sure some of the city slickers will post up. What issues are you having? No start, clicks, the magical smoke come out?

The guy with the wiring harness, I can do it, it would take me about four months since thats how long it took me to do a buddy's rig (no pay, equals time and beer). Maybe someone else can take it on for profit. I don't have the time for a paid job with timeframe that makes reasonable sense.

daveweil1

Loc.
Savannah
My uncle was doing dome welding on the frame and bumper for me and his son decided to drive it while he had it. When I got it back he said the starter was shot so he bought a new one and put it in for me. The first time I tried it, it wouldn't start. Just clicking noises. I jumped it off and drove it home but it was making bad grinding noises. He has apparently wired the starter (and everything else) "hot" and now the bendix is constantly running and my battery goes dead in an hour. I tried fixing it myself but the wires that I had originally done don't seem to be what I had originally wired them for. I don't mind paying a pro to do it but I want a good one.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Dave, the starter is a pretty easy fix and there are only a few wires to deal with. If I didn't have to work this weekend I'd ride up and help ya. Grab a Haynes or Chiltons manual and it should walk you through the process. With that hot new engine you most likely need to upsize the wires from the battery to the sol and starter. I would not use anything less the 2 ga cable. Double 0 would be better. The starter is going to need all the voltage it can get to turn that engine over.
Let us know how you fair.

daveweil1

Loc.
Savannah
Also, when I turn the ignition off, the the engine continues to run. I can actually remove the key entirely and it just keeps going. I have to put it in 4th and stall it out to get it to shut down.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Honestly, that sounds like a possible switch issue. I have seem some strange things the key has done. Take a peek under the dash and see if its a tangled mess of wires and splices. Can you take some pics and email or post them? Pics of the solinoid and wires as possibly a pic under the dash at the back of the key?

Oh yeah, and pull the battery terminal to kill it if you can and that way you don't toast the battery.

daveweil1

Loc.
Savannah
Everything worked fine until my idiot relative installed the new starter. Aslo the one he bought has a solenoid on the actual starter, where the old one did not. He told me becuase it had the solenoid on the starter I didn't need the old remote mount solenoid that I had installed on the wheel tub. I'll take pics when I get home from work and post them tonight.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Sounds like he jacked up the wiring. Still probably a simple fix. Did he tell you where he got the starter and what application it was for? I am thinking maybe he put on a reduction starter. But the run on is strange. Good times, good times. I think an afternoon with a test light and a wiring diagram and all can be fixed on the cheap.

daveweil1

Loc.
Savannah
It came off ebay. He sent me the info and I paid for it. It said it was for early broncos with a V8. Its was smaller and lighter than the stock starter. It doesn't seem like it has more torque but that may be because of his 14 Budweisers first, then wire it method of auto mechanics. All of the cables are new from the starter, battery and ignition. I ran the new ignition wire 2 months ago when I installed my Holley electric fuel pump.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Well, don't let me near it. Maybe its better because I drink Budlight first. The light part goes right along with the sparky things.;D I think he spliced some wires to engage the solenoid. And it is backfeeding through to the innition. Follow the smaller gauge wires from the starter and find where he patched in.

daveweil1

Loc.
Savannah
Starter

Thats the one. I got home too late last night to get any decent pics. I'll get to it this weekend. Thanks for all the help.

daveweil1

Loc.
Savannah
I figured this problem out..bad ground.. but now I have a grinding nosie after I get the engine running. It sounds like maybe the bendix from the starter is still engaged on the flywheel. any thoughts?

Last edited:

lulu

Loc.
Marietta, GA
Guy's

I just wanted to say hello. I just bought a bronco and I'm in the area. I live in Candler Park. If you ever need anything send me a email. olemiss6@hotmail.com. I talked to Mac2night just a minute ago and wanted to tell the other atlanta people hello.