• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco on rocks build

Bronco-on-rocks

hi guy heres my first bronco what do you think
yellowbronco003.jpg
yellowbronco002.jpg

yellowbronco001.jpg

First what do you think hows it look. I got it for 1200.
No tranny but running 302 Did i get a deal? Dont hate on my sticker lol im going to change it to little mr sunshine lol haha

Well here the thing i got for it. im going to build it in to a big mud bronco
2 1/2 ton rockweel axles 672 gears
np200 independent transfer case with both out puts at bottom for about a 9 inch rear drop
all 1410 yokes
Here what i want!
Get rid of that yellow paint, Paint it orange or blue
the shoes it going to get are some 44 boggers or some 14.6-24 v tread tractor tires (49 inches tall).
Some 9.5 inch lift bronco coil 22 inch long four link it or some chevy 12 inch leafs with some drop down hangers.
stretch the wheel base.. would it look good to comp cut the rear like a heep?
Oh yeah i need your guys help the tranny went out so i need a tranny probably a 2wd auto but maybe change it to stick any ideas on what to try and get?
Also what should i do with my engine it has a 302 that runs should i just leave
and fix it up or should i look for some thing else... 351w.... any suggestion

Carl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, IL
Welcome to the club! I can't see the full-size images. It might be my computer. It looks solid from the pics. I think $1200 is a fair deal. Are you going to have to push it to start it like Little Miss Sunshine? :)

Sounds like its going to be a pretty serious machine. I don't know much about all that stuff. Good luck with it!

joe

Bronco Guru
rockweells aand 44's? yeah you gona have to do something alittle different with the 302. looks good though. i've always wanted rockwells and big rubber but figured i never could aford the drive train to turn em.

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
From the small pics, 1200 sounds like a good deal.

Since you're going to make a big mudder out of it, you'll definately want to go with a big automatic tranny. Mud and manuals don't mix well. You're going to be putting some major stress on the drivetrain, so look for something out of a 3/4 or 1 ton Ford and do what ya gotta do to make it fit. You're going to have fun trying to get that much lift out of your bronco without having terrible driveshaft angles. But anything is doable with enough forethought...uh...and money! Good luck.

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
welcome to the never ending place of info, fun and the best friends you will ever meet in your life place....classic broncos.com
and congrats on the new bronco... you will enjoy it, if nothing else like several of us, working on it :)
Ben

OP
OP
B

Bronco-on-rocks

thanks guys this place is pretty cool! i think i got a pretty good deal it fires right up has a holly carb and intake on it and sounds like a cam and the only rust is around the rockers and the doors. Joe i dont really have to do anything to the motor to really run 44 the rockwells have 6.72 gearing so you dont really have to have a lot of horses unless you want throw some real roosters.
The driveshaft angle wont be that bad cause i have a independent t-case so i can drop it way down from the tranny and run a jack shaft to it. Plus both output yokes are at the bottom.
M37%20Mount%202.jpg

But what do you guy think for motor upgrades or switchs?
What are some good 2wd tranny?
What size tize do you think i could run with 12'' chevy leaves?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
The 302 will turn the Rocks just fine. There are plenty of V6 and even a few inline 4 powered rigs on rocks.

You'll have to lift it quite a bit to clear those toploaders, no doubt about it. Anything smaller than a 44 does kind of look silly on them

BTF makes a simple mohawk shave kit, to buy a couple more inches of ground clearance, and toughens up that bottom pumpkin.

Implement tires are OK, but stupid heavy should you ever get a flat, pop a bead, or tear a sidewall. Keep that in mind.

For offroad use only, nothing can beat some good pinion brakes on there. Ponying up for some good Wilwood calipers and rotors to mount up will give you some kick ass brakes. I've seen folks use just darn near any caliper they can lay hands on: Toy, Sami, Chevy, Ford and Dodge. There are plenty of articles out there to find a rotor that bolts up with little modification.

When you start breaking parts, it's time to look at OEM (Ouverson Engineering and Machine) for some 47 spline goodies, and his custom locker, as well as wheel brakes and more. He specializes in the development of upgrade parts for huge axles.

http://www.ouversonengineering.com/

Adding a divorced T-Case is a very tricky thing to do on a EB, due to the very short frame and wheelbase. You'll need to add 2 feet or so of rear wheelbaseto facilitate it, and find a 2wd transmission output that's not long as hell to help suck it up as short as possible.

There have been a few folks that have preceded you in putting on some rocks (a couple out west, and another fella there in the southeast) Hopefully they'll chime in and offer up some advice.

Good luck, it's got the potential to be a very cool build. Keep us updated, and welcome to the site!!

OP
OP
B

Bronco-on-rocks

thanks gummy bear
Im going to use chuckstrucks.net brake setup. As for the locker the oem i herd is better then the detroit. Im going to weld the rear. Yeah you really never see broncos with rocks that why i really bought it besides, that I thought there are cool as heck. I have 76 chevy with a worked 350 already for rocks but when i seen this deal i had to have it. So you think about 2 foot strech the rear. For the tranny im thinking a short shaft 2wd c6. But for right now im going to find a c4 it
and put it back in so i can drive it around well im doing body work and paint work. As for the lift im ether think 22 inch bronco coils or some 12inch chevy leafs with drop down hangers.
Whats a good price for a c4 and is c6 205 combo the same length as the c4 combo?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I'd put a center bump on it, and lift it as little as possible. Being tall, makes it tippy, just like being short does.

If you're on a shoestring budget, do the leafs for now, but no corny drop hangers, that's death waiting to happen. If you do choose leafs, you'll need anti-spring wrap bars front and rear. 6.72 reduction, and a 1,000 lb axle will twist your poor little leaf springs into pretzels in no time.

BTF and some others all make Rockwell brackets and tabs, to make links, spring hangers, coil buckets and retainers and other neat stuff to help you do a good, clean, safe job on your build.

The OEM locker is a Detroit. The original Detroit locker was designed for the 2.5 ton Rockwell axle according to what I've read and been told. Pretty cool. This was a long time before the modern 'Soft Locker' and many argue that it is much better than the new one.

Welding up the rear is fine, lots of folks do it. In the rocks, a spool can get you into some trouble, since it's always pushing, and never ratcheting.

Now - take some pictures of your rig, parts pile, hot girlfriend, and other stuff, and start a buildup thread. ;D

Here's how to get photo upload status:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34373

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Smitty here in GA is running Rocks on his EB. He is using stock Bronco coils out back with a link setup and leafs in the front. You may wanna hit him up and see if you can pick his brain.