• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Postal Vans

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Does anybody own one of these?
They were used in the late 60's by the U.S. Postal Service. These rear wheel drive vehicles were based on the Bronco chassis and used all the Early Bronco Gauges right down to the 2-spoke steering wheel with the center horn button that said Ford Bronco on it.
The last one I saw became an Ice Cream truck. Is there any more info. out there on this interesting Bronco Variant?

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I can see this thread is going to Bite the Dust quickly :mad:<br>29 hits and no responses...

66horse

Bronco Guru
Well maybe the 29 people are like me and have never seen or heard of them. :-U<br><br>I am following this thread though cause would love to find out about these and maybe see some pics.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=11937;start=0#87963 date=1038933397]<br>Does anybody own one of these?<br>They were used in the late 60's by the U.S. Postal Service. These rear wheel drive vehicles were based on the Bronco chassis and used all the Early Bronco Gauges right down to the 2-spoke steering wheel with the center horn button that said Ford Bronco on it.<br>The last one I saw became an Ice Cream truck. Is there any more info. out there on this interesting Bronco Variant?<br><br>I've heard of them, but never seen them. If someone has pics, we'd ALL love to see them, I'm sure.<br><br>Todd Z.<br>[/quote]

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
Wow, this is a new one. Kind of reminds me of the 1960's Ford Cortina's. I have seen plenty of the old 2wd j**ps with right hand drive, but never an EB. That would have been part of the set up, right? Probably would have been an auto/6. <br><br>Maybe the Gods can help...Madgyver?, Jeepster?, Astark? <br><br>How about it?

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Yes,<br>The version I saw (worked on) had a 250 6-banger and a Shortie Econoline C-4 for a tranny, It had the standard Bronco 9" open diff with 4.11 gears. The frame was Bronco through and through with a tube front axle, still using the coil spring/radius arm front suspension.

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
I've heard of them, but never seen so much as a picture of one. As for the Cortina, I cobbled up some kind of manual for one when I worked at one of the Ford dealerships several years ago. I'm not sure where I put it, but I'm sure I've still got it. Kinda neat. I'd like to see a pic of one of the Postal Broncos.

alex69eb

Loc.
dearborn, michigan
electric_vehicles.jpg
<br><br>Here's a Ford postal vehicle

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
That new postal vehicle is made by Grumman and it sits on an Explorer chassis... USPS has 10,000 of them on order. Now you know why the cost of stamps keep going up and out of control. :-U<br><br>The one I'm talking about is Early Bronco Based.

alex69eb

Loc.
dearborn, michigan
They shouldn't still have them on order since we quit building the engines and chassis for them in 2001. but sorry to get your hopes up of a photo of one just being funny.

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=11937;start=0#88036 date=1038945762]<br>Yes,<br>The version I saw (worked on) had a 250 6-banger and a Shortie Econoline C-4 for a tranny, It had the standard Bronco 9" open diff with 4.11 gears. The frame was Bronco through and through with a tube front axle, still using the coil spring/radius arm front suspension.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I knew this one would bite the dust. :'(<br>Let's stick it on page 1, one more time and see if it catches anyone's attention.

OffRoadObsession

Loc.
Frankston/Tyler, TX
i have just found a a ford m1a1 i think is what its called for my grandfather to fix up... it looks like the old willys jeep.. but this is a 1949 model... and on the back it says ford... it was used in the war... i can get picks yall would like? if it would help or just be cool :-U

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
It's only biting the dust because noone knows about them. I think it is really cool, but have no other info on them. I'd love to see one if anyone has a pic. Anybody here work for FoMoCo and could snag an old pic somewhere?

alex69eb

Loc.
dearborn, michigan
I work at Ford but I'm only 24 and wasn't even born until the big bronco was around. I've asked around but most people here barely remember the "little bronco" as they call it. I'll keep digging though. ;)

horslady

Loc.
Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Fear not felow brocoholics..... somwhere someone out there has at least on , could we wish for more?? So in the mean time we will keep the thread going with our<br>imagination untill they do. 8) :eek: :eek: ;D :D

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I think that my 1st EB was owned by the state and was used by the state game wardens.

luvmybronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ashland, Oh
[quote author=OffRoadObsession link=board=5;threadid=11937;start=0#88431 date=1039039222]<br>i have just found a a ford m1a1 i think is what its called for my grandfather to fix up... it looks like the old willys jeep.. but this is a 1949 model... and on the back it says ford... it was used in the war... i can get picks yall would like? if it would help or just be cool :-U<br>[/quote]<br><br> Good find...All manufactures made the jeeps durring World War ll, but Ford was the only one that stamped there name on the back...Makes them the rarest of them all...My uncle is into the willys Jeep BIG TIME...My Dad has a 47 willy's he's trying to sell for 3000.00 I restored it back to Army specs back in 96, but its been sitting in the Barn most of the time...It needs a tune up, but there is NO rust anywhere....

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I've heard of them, but didn't think they were real. If someone finds a photo, post a picture, please.<br><br>snake

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
Made me curious, so I went surfing. No luck. Did find a site on postal j**ps, and that IH made a scout in the early 60's that was used by the USPS, and a broken link on postal vehicles...oh well. If they are out there, they are RARE.<br><br>Still like to see one, so, back to page one ;) <br><br>dpm

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=dpm77 link=board=5;threadid=11937;start=15#88676 date=1039115351]<br>Made me curious, so I went surfing. No luck. Did find a site on postal j**ps, and that IH made a scout in the early 60's that was used by the USPS, and a broken link on postal vehicles...oh well. If they are out there, they are RARE.<br><br>Still like to see one, so, back to page one ;) <br><br>dpm<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey Dpm,<br>The one I saw was retired into being an Ice Cream truck.<br>If i had a digital camera, i would go over to the Tropical Ice Cream Yard in Santa Ana and snap a frame or two...<br>BH