• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Postal Vans

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=11937;start=15#88709 date=1039120540]<br>[quote author=dpm77 link=board=5;threadid=11937;start=15#88676 date=1039115351]<br>Made me curious, so I went surfing. No luck. Did find a site on postal j**ps, and that IH made a scout in the early 60's that was used by the USPS, and a broken link on postal vehicles...oh well. If they are out there, they are RARE.<br><br>Still like to see one, so, back to page one ;) <br><br>dpm<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey Dpm,<br>The one I saw was retired into being an Ice Cream truck.<br>If i had a digital camera, i would go over to the Tropical Ice Cream Yard in Santa Ana and snap a frame or two...<br>BH<br>[/quote]<br><br>BH, <br>Yea, I can't for the life of me find one on the 'net. LMC advertises a book in their catalogue "Ford Bronco, 1966-1977", says its 100 pages with 200 photographs. Maybe its in there. <br><br>I think I 'll order it anyway.....can't have too much info!<br><br>dpm

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
What's mine say ...Howiebilt...<br>what's mine say ...Bwoncohowie...<br><br>it's like looking in the mirror dude !<br><br>just kiddin' ... I haven't seen a postal bronco , ever ! I have heard they were a myth and that they were built for export and blah blah blah . If you have time , go to the ice cream place and take a disposeable camera with you . Take pictures of everything and send me the camera and I'll develope it and post the pics ;) There has to be some kind of script or signature on the outside of the vehicle someplace that we could search for ?:?

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Yeah, I've never seen anything in print, but I've heard about them, once from a postal worker in Omaha. I'd like to see one if they exist. You'd think they'd have had one at fabulous fords.<br><br>snake

horslady

Loc.
Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Just a thought .... could the postal broncos been ones owned by the carrier???? From living in the country we have seen most carriers use their own personal vehicles.They would drive from the passenger seat to put mail in the box.

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=howiebilt link=board=5;threadid=11937;start=15#88772 date=1039131929]<br>What's mine say ...Howiebilt...<br>what's mine say ...Bwoncohowie...<br><br>it's like looking in the mirror dude !<br><br>just kiddin' ... I haven't seen a postal bronco , ever ! I have heard they were a myth and that they were built for export and blah blah blah . If you have time , go to the ice cream place and take a disposeable camera with<br> you . Take pictures of everything and send me the camera and I'll develope it and post the pics ;) There has to be some kind of script or signature on the outside of the vehicle someplace that we could search for ?:?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Another Howie Bronco owner, too cool, with a name like Howiebuilt, Your rig is Built right I'm sure.<br><br>I will try to make it over to the Ice cream place this Sat.<br><br>Anyway, this postal truck looks like a small step van with a roll-up door with rectangular windows in the back.<br>The two front doors slide open on tracks.<br>It has the same wheelbase as the EB but I can't remember what side the steering wheel was on.<br><br>BH<br>

Spence

Loc.
Westminster, Co
<br><br>Hey Dpm,<br>The one I saw was retired into being an Ice Cream truck.<br>If i had a digital camera, i would go over to the Tropical Ice Cream Yard in Santa Ana and snap a frame or two...<br>BH<br>
<br><br>Anyone else in the SoCal area have a digital camera to go snap a couple of pics? Just a thought.

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
<br>I will try to make it over to the Ice cream place this Sat.<br><br><br>BH<br><br>
<br><br>Went to Tropical Ice Cream, It appears they sold the last of their Bronco Postal Vans and most of the fleet has been replaced with old Econolines and Chevy Step-Vans.<br><br>I will check some of the other local Ice cream truck companies next week.<br><br>BH

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Aaaah Yes ! the ever elusive bronco postal vehicle ::) <br>It's like trying to find Pegasus or a unicorn ...great myths , and we all want it to be real ... but ever so elusive :-U Good luck on your quest BH and bronco speed ;D

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=howiebilt link=board=5;threadid=11937;start=15#89336 date=1039304485]<br>Aaaah Yes ! the ever elusive bronco postal vehicle ::) <br>It's like trying to find Pegasus or a unicorn ...great myths , and we all want it to be real ... but ever so elusive :-U Good luck on your quest BH and bronco speed ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Strange you should mention the pegasus. For when I got my rig on the back window was etched the flying horse himself.<br><br>
backwindow.jpg

rick71

Loc.
Milwaukie,OR
[quote author=howiebilt link=board=5;threadid=11937;start=15#89336 date=1039304485]<br>Aaaah Yes ! the ever elusive bronco postal vehicle ::) <br>It's like trying to find Pegasus or a unicorn ...great myths , and we all want it to be real ... but ever so elusive :-U Good luck on your quest BH and bronco speed ;D<br>[/quote]I think trying to find the elusive postal bronco is goin' to make some bronco owners GO POSTAL!! :)<br> just a post to keep on the front

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Jeepster ! that is the coolest thing I've seen in a while . I am going to have to steal that idea ... perhaps a huge one on my hood or something . ;)<br><br>BTW...quick response time on the post ;D

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=11937;start=15#89295 date=1039286843]<br>
<br>I will try to make it over to the Ice cream place this Sat.<br><br><br>BH<br><br>
<br><br>Went to Tropical Ice Cream, It appears they sold the last of their Bronco Postal Vans and most of the fleet has been replaced with old Econolines and Chevy Step-Vans.<br><br>I will check some of the other local Ice cream truck companies next week.<br><br>BH<br>[/quote]<br><br>OH NO! It makes it worse that they say they sold them. <br>This could make ya nuts ;D

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I talked to a guy in Iowa tonight who either had a route or I believe his wife had the mail route and they used a 76 bronco for about 15 years. He said it was rusting off the frame when he sold it not long ago.<br><br>snake

73EXP

Loc.
Richmond, Virginia (Home of Duke's Mayonaise)
Quote from: BwoncoHowie on 12/07/02 01:47 PM <br><br>Quote:<br>I will try to make it over to the Ice cream place this Sat.<br><br><br>BH<br><br> <br><br>Went to Tropical Ice Cream, It appears they sold the last of their Bronco Postal Vans and most of the fleet has been replaced with old Econolines and Chevy Step-Vans.<br><br>I will check some of the other local Ice cream truck companies next week.<br><br>BH<br> <br><br><br>Hmmmm- whaddabout ASKING them to whom they sold them to?? tell'em you're a ford history buff- and you just want pix.. they SHOULD tell you who the buyer was :)<br><br>Still wanna see the BroncPostalVan-<br>:)<br>A

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
I was looking through some old posts here, in 2001, and saw a reference to the "postal bronco" by a member, "wildbill". He said he had actually seen one, but not fo a long time. <br><br>The plot thickens, <br><br>dpm

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
73EXP,<br>Re:Hmmmm- whaddabout ASKING them to whom they sold them to?? tell'em you're a ford history buff- and you just want pix.. they SHOULD tell you who the buyer was <br><br>Still wanna see the BroncPostalVan-<br>:)<br>A <br><br>I got there late in the afternoon and most all the employees had left for the day. My espanol wasn't good enough to habla with who was left. every time I call them on the phone I get this recording during regular bidness hours. So trying to get info. about the present whereabouts of the retired postal Broncos is next to impossible. At this point, if I knew of one that was on it's way to the scrapper, i'd probably buy it just because they're so elusive and rare nowadays...<br><br>BH

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I haven't given up yet! I'm gonna get pictures. Might be easier to get a shot of a Sasquatch though... :) <br><br>BH

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
Alright, I have the answer to the question you seek. The answer is FORD G-100 Postal Van. I know this because I found one at a U pull it a few yars ago. The real neat part is that the rust bucket still possesed its owner's manual. I am in possesion of that manual and actually know where it is!!! I'll send a copy of it to someone if they will post it. I don't have a scanner. Hope you guys can sleep now. <br><br>Later,<br>Jason

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
[quote author=SACHEM2000 link=board=5;threadid=11937;start=30#92097 date=1040100934]<br>Alright, I have the answer to the question you seek. The answer is FORD G-100 Postal Van. I know this because I found one at a U pull it a few yars ago. The real neat part is that the rust bucket still possesed its owner's manual. I am in possesion of that manual and actually know where it is!!! I'll send a copy of it to someone if they will post it. I don't have a scanner. Hope you guys can sleep now. <br><br>Later,<br>Jason<br>[/quote]<br><br>WOOHOO :D

OffRoadObsession

Loc.
Frankston/Tyler, TX
I am getting pictures of one now ;D I know this guy thats selling one for $1,000.. It is a 1971 Ford G-100 Postal Vehicle (1/2 ton)..... This vehicle was purchased from the postal service in 1976 with 60,000 original miles.. it has been stored for 25 yrs and he said it runs good... Anyone in deptford NJ could probably go see it ;D