• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco rollover steering issue

orygunbou71

Loc.
Ashland, Oregon
So a couple of weeks ago I rolled my bronco onto it's top. Had the wrecker come out and flip it back over for me. Got the engine up and running and took her for a spin and noticed that it feels like the steering is fighting me at speeds over 20mph. Parked I can crank it from lock to lock with little effort and no fighting. When I make a turn under speed the steering is fine. But when I'm driving straight and correct my steering g left or right it hangs up and I have to almost force the wheel to turn that direction. Once it goes the direction I force it it turns with ease. I have TBP hiem steering linkage and adjustable track bar. Also TBP deluxe power steering conversion with rebuilt power steering box. James duff track bar drop down bracket and 3.5in monster suspension lift. I'm turning 35s. What would cause this problem??

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Power steering fluid low?
Works fine when stopped, how about revving the engine to 2500 RPM while stopped? Does it still happen?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Bad part is that something could have been damaged when it was rolled back upright. Maybe a ball joint, rod end, steering ujoint has a flat spot that is slightly binding when your only doing minor steering adjustments. Could even be a divet in the steering gear rack and worm.

OP
OP
O

orygunbou71

Loc.
Ashland, Oregon
Bad part is that something could have been damaged when it was rolled back upright. Maybe a ball joint, rod end, steering ujoint has a flat spot that is slightly binding when your only doing minor steering adjustments. Could even be a divet in the steering gear rack and worm.

Figured it out today. Jacked the truck up and turned the wheels by hand and noticed that the steering shaft coming out of the column was getting hung up against the inner fender well. A pry bar and a hammer and now it's good as new!