• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco salvage yard Colo Springs

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
I got out to the Springs for Business a few times a year. I definitely need someone to introduce me.. And it's just off 25. I know I must I have driven by it a few times.

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
...if you look at the sat image, about mid picture, you will see a long trailer with a silver top (coca cola delivery trailer) and at the left edge of the trailer hes got a (73 I think) red half cab that he selling. ...

Acutally, it is a 70 half cab that I would love to have. I was down there this past saturday and we were talking it. Don is a great guy, probably has forgotten more about Broncos than anyone else knows. Everything in his lot is for sale, but it depends on how bad he wants to move it. He is of the old boy mentality that if you do him right, he will do you right, but don't go in there looking to steal things from him. He is very well aware what the vendor prices are for certain things and he adjusts his prices accordingly. Best bet is to just be a nice guy and talk to him. Don't try and beat him up on his price because he doesn't need to sell any of that stuff. It is all paid for. ;)

JHD

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Don is a great guy, probably has forgotten more about Broncos than anyone else knows

X2 The man is full of knowledge and very fun to talk to. I have bought several parts from him at what I feel are fair prices. Like Sbolt19 said he knows what he has and is in no rush to empty the lot.

He told me he wrecked his bronco back in the early 80s?? and had a hard time finding parts so he put an add in the paper for wrecked broncos got flooded with calls and the rest is history.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Heaven on earth. Time to move back to Colorado. ;D

uncle ray

I don't get these types of "collections." I've heard of two or three like this around the country over the years. None of them are advertised as far as I can tell, and no one has the time or money to restore that many Broncos. So what's going to happen? Half (or more) are going to rot away over the years with nothing ever done to them. I understand the collector mentality and all, but why would you buy that many vehicles and then let them just sit there ?:?

it's not like he went out and hunted down nice broncos at top dollar to horde. he is literally on the route to, and next door to most of the scrap yards in town, much of his stuff likely would be scrap if not for him snatching it up. many locals will drop off their unwanted parts there rather than scrap them. in the climate here, the stuff is not rotting away by any means. most importantly, he DOES make stuff available and is reasonable to deal with, you just have to do it the old fashioned way, face to face on a saturday morning.

Brian B

it's not like he went out and hunted down nice broncos at top dollar to horde. he is literally on the route to, and next door to most of the scrap yards in town, much of his stuff likely would be scrap if not for him snatching it up. many locals will drop off their unwanted parts there rather than scrap them. in the climate here, the stuff is not rotting away by any means. most importantly, he DOES make stuff available and is reasonable to deal with, you just have to do it the old fashioned way, face to face on a saturday morning.

That is good to hear. I have some parts that I could donate to someone like him and I work for a company that recycles scrap metal.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Okay, who's introducing me to Don this Saturday (16th)? ;D In town visiting family this weekend. PM me!

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Wow, that's a lot of Broncos!

I thought they guy near me who had 40+ in a field had a lot!

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Thanks for all the PMs guys, but unless I rent a canoe, I'm probably not hitting Don's today. Man! Nice sunny Colorado weather. :cry: Might do a drive-by, but that would be it.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Yeah, I know Don well. Very good guy. When I was stationed there he went out of his way to help me install a new shift tub in my column. Made it look simple. I know better. Probably the only place I have ever been allowed to walk and rummage through vehicles without someone hawking over me, worried I would steal. I found what I needed, showed him, and he helped me pull it. He's fair on his prices, but like someone said, he knows what he has. I was in real need for a part a few years ago and called him mid week. He met me at the yard and got me what I needed. He assured me this wasn't going to be a routine thing, but it does illustrate he's a nice guy.

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don is a great guy sold me lots of bronco parts the past 3 years sent me a great picture of his lot it is now my screen saver ,I have his ph# but i think he is slowing down selling so its best to know him i will call and see if he wants it posted before i give it out . Thanks Keith

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow! That is awesome. I always wanted to take the kids to Colorado in the spring and see the mountains. Maybe next spring I will "break down" and sneak away to meet Don.;D

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
And now you all know our "little secret".

Don is reasonable, especially if you grease the skids with a bit of barley pop, although he's pretty much switched to Bud-Light.

If anyone does make it out this way, shoot me an email.
Joe