• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco stalls when giving it gas Help!

Navy_chief

Loc.
Oklahoma
Guys,
I just put in a new gas tank and before this the bronco ran fine. I had to replace the acelerator pump the little diaphram mounted on front of carb. It rand fine after this.

The bronco has been sitting for about a week and a half while I replaced all the radius arm bushings not a fun job but it is done.

Now today I start it up it idles fine but when I put it in gear or rev it up it sputters and dies instantly like it is starving for fuel?

I have never rebuilt the carb?

Any ideas?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Have you checked to makes sure the accelerator pump is still working? I did the same thing to my 71 and after a week of sitting it wasnt working had to clean out the varnish in the carb as it was causing the check valve to stick and the pump wouldnt work.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Were the vacuum ports hooked up on your old part? If so. Do you also have the dual daiphram vacuum cannister on your dist? they can be very finicky when you remove parts they use from the system. You should totally unhook the retard section(rear port) of the vacuum advance.

OP
OP
N

Navy_chief

Loc.
Oklahoma
Were the vacuum ports hooked up on your old part? If so. Do you also have the dual daiphram vacuum cannister on your dist? they can be very finicky when you remove parts they use from the system. You should totally unhook the retard section(rear port) of the vacuum advance.

None of the Vaccum ports where hooked up but as stated as soon as I replaced the part that was leaking that is when the bronco started running like crap. I cant find a picture right now since I am at work put here are the port switches that where hooked up to the pipe:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170662908714?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150590963298?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

If I can find the pipe that these plugged into since mine was leaking I would buy one my heater hose was connected to it. So if somebody has a good one that is not leaking or know where to buy one It would be greatly appreciated. Also a diagram would be awesome as well so I know where to hook up all this stuff to? When I get home today I will post a picture of the actual pipe I am talking about

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well if nothing was hooked to it then you can pretty much disreguard all I said. Dont bother trying to get another one of those ported vacuum switchs if it wasnt hooked up you dont need it. Not sure why your heater hose would be hooked to that part.
I would recheck your igintion timing also makes sure all your plug wires are in the cap properly you may have just knocked something loose while replacing the part. check other wires and any vacuum lines as well.