• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco stance

NM Bronco

I want to raise rear of my bronco about 2inchs. Is it problem to do simple axle blocks between axle housing and leafs? Handling issues or drive line issues? thanks

Louie76

Loc.
Red Deer, Alberta
If your stock now, 2" blocks will work fine with no mods (other than u bolts). usually they are tapered a bit to correct for pinion ange if you buy a set. wouldnt be too worried about it if you built a set, just throw in some 2 degree shims if you want to be picky

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Should be good also on the handling and or drive line issues.

dixieboyz13

Loc.
Johns Island
Make sure you get the heavy blocks, and not the aluminum ones. The aluminum ones have a tendancy to break. I have 2" blocks on mine and it rides and handles fine.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd add that you might want to jack up the truck to exactly the height you like, then measure the difference between the two positions so you know exactly what size block to get.

You might find that, because of body lines and different cut heights of the wheel-well openings, your 2 inches could turn into 1 or 3.
Just in case.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and we generally talk about not using blocks, because yes, they add to the leverage on the axle and springs and can lead to more axle-wrap (spring twist) and u-bolt failures.
More axle-wrap puts more stress on the u-joints too, which makes their positioning even more critical.
As for the u-bolts, I would upgrade at least one size anyway. Even without blocks, it can't hurt. With the added stress of blocks, larger is better.

Our Extreme bolts are 5/8" diameter, which is about the largest size you'll commonly come across. A 9/16" bolt is still a nice upgrade and stronger than most people need unless they're really hard on their equipment.
Heck, even a nice new 1/2" u-bolt is a step up from the stock stuff!

And when you pull things apart, inspect the surface of the spring perch for flatness and evenness. If it's uneven, smooth it the best you can. If it's actually warped and not able to accept a block sitting flat, replace it if you can't grind it down flat enough.
They're not that expensive. You just need to be able to weld, or know someone who does.

Paul