• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco starter won't shut off !

jmms

Loc.
Suwanee,GA (N.E.of A
?:? I haven't started my EB in about 2 years because the top end on the motor was apart. Got it back together about amonth ago and it been starting and running fine. But as of Friday it will start up fine but the starter keeps running, No matter what postion the key is in. If I turn the key off the motor shuts off but the starter keeps turning. I can even take the key out and the starter is still turning over. I have to disconnect the battery to stop it from running. ?:?

Do I have a bad key switch, or starter, or what? ?:?

Stuck starter

Try the following in order:

One: wd40 starter solenoid and wait a time to soak.
Two: gentlly peck starter around solenoid with small hammer.
Three: wd40 starter solenoid again.
Four: lube starter shaft and drive gear.
Five: re-install starter and Verify all + and - wires are correct and tight.
Six: Start the Bronco up to check starter.
Seven: If all the above fails, take starter to part store to check out and either preplace solenoid and or starter.

Good luck.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
Unless you have the stock remote solinoid, in which case you just replace it...they are not too expensive.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Disconnect the two small wires (Red w/blue and a Brown one) from the solenoid. Re-connect the battery and test for voltage at either one. NEITHER one should have a reading with the key "OFF". With the key "ON", the brown wire should have a reading of anywhere from 6 to 12 volts (depending on the condition of the resistor wire, if applicable).
If the Red w/blue wire has any voltage whatsoever with the key "OFF", either your ignition switch is bad or you have a short in that circuit somewhere. There should only be a reading when the key is in the "START" position.
If no reading at the Red w/blue wire, then it's probably a stuck solenoid. You can try hitting it with a hammer as was mentioned, but even if you fix it I would go buy a new one since this one may do it again at any time. You can keep is as a spare if you want, but I'd just toss it and get another one to avoid the headaches down the road.

Just out of curiosity, have you done any other modifications to the electrical system? Such as an internally regulated alternator? If so, sometimes you can get feedback through the system that won't allow the engine to shut off, and it won't usually effect the starter circuit, but I was just wondering about any other mods you might have done in the meantime.

Paul

68beast

Loc.
Covina, Kalifornia
Are you sure the starter keeps turning itself? Or could it be possible that it just insn't dissengaging the flywheel. With mine i had instal a couple of spacers to get it to dissengage the flywheel once the key was turned to "run". without the spacers it would make a loud grinding noise, which sounded kinda like the starter was still spinning.
Just a thought. Good luck! :cool:

U

Unregistered

the above ideas are good.... but i had the same problem and it was my ignition switch sticking in the start mode.,.