• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Tub repair

broncotom81

Tom Talalaj
I am replacing some door post on a driving bronco. I always liek to see what pros charge to gauge the job and move forward from there. Sometimes, even if you can do it, it pays to have a pro do it because it takes less time, you don't waste weekends, etc. I cannot even get a quote, the body shops in my area are so scared of non collision work they price it out very high.

My question, the typical post job is worth what? 500, 100, ?
Thomas Talalaj

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I dont know exactly what it would be but figure that a door post cost about $160.00. And most body shops are going to be no less than $60.00 an hour plus materials. If I were you post where you live and ask people in your area to recomend a shop.

nj_thusar

Contributor
Loc.
Asbury Park, NJ
I'm looking to do the same thing.. in fact its both sided front and back. Pricing out the parts i needed was around 300 per door ( nuts to bolts even some extras, including rockers and kick panels), I definalty lack the abliity to do it on my own, and fear the worst....

WILD CHILD

Loc.
las cruce
I replaced a few front post and I used to charge 10 hours not including paint each. In reality I never got one swapped out in less than 2 days, so I would expect to pay a body shop at least $600 just for the fromt post.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
Larger body shops make good money on collision work Its their gravy. Anything else is becomming specialty work. Some shops take it in when slow, but if an insurance job comes in the specialty work goes on the back burner. Unless you find someone that actually specializes in older restorations, I wouldnt take it to a body shop. Unfortunately the bad thing about older vehicles is the more you tear into a job like that the more you find that needs repair. If you get a solid quote for the repairs, its likely they will just cover up any other damage that should be repaired, just to get the job done. I have started several jobs that always ended up much more work than expected.

ronco

Thomas Talalaj

Tom Talalaj
I had mine done for $550 last year. They did a great job, no compliants at all, real stand up guy owns the place. I'll go back through my files and see if I can get you the phone number, who knows, the price may have gone up by now. I'll get back to you.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Where are you located? A bodyman at my work will do it on the side for you. We are about dead right now at work. My bodyman buddy turned in 30 hours for 2 weeks today.

The labor rate for bodyshops ranges from $40-$44 hour in my area to $76 in other parts of the country. 10 hours is probably low balling it a bit. Your bodyshop is going to be dealing with an old rusty vehicle with aftermarket body parts. That price is not including paint and possibly materials like seam sealer, ect.
Let us know what part of the country your in. Someone else might be able to help you out in their garage.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
hey allen I could use that info since I'm in the area. I need to get my hardtop painted and who knows what else. PM me.

thanx

Mick

broncosRULE

Thomas Talalaj,
you shoudl really contact allenfahey for information on where that garage is located. sounds like you could really get a good deal since times are so slow there.